Friday, August 8, 2014

Refashioning a dress into 2 separate outfits

With school about to start, we have begun going through our clothes to see what fits and what does not.  One of my daughters' dresses got a little snug at the top, but instead of handing it over to her sister, she asked if we could salvage the bottom, making it into a skirt.  I use to do this all the time when they were toddlers.  I would just cut off the bottom of the dress once it became too short, applying a casing for elastic.


This dress is a combination of knit jersey at the top and a pretty cotton blend for the skirt portion.  This made an easy refashion since the jersey knit could be folded over to make a yoga-style band, which I zig zag stitched down.


To make a complete outfit, I made a tank top in a coordinating jersey knit which I already had in my stash.  I used our Ottobre pattern, blogged about here.



Here you can see the top portion of the dress.  I added a band of coordinating jersey knit for the center and then black jersey knit for the flared bottom, creating a nice tunic top that can be worn with leggings.




This is what I started with.  I didn't think to take a picture before cutting, and the skirt band had already been folded and sewn to the inside.



For the bottom of the tunic top, I created the pattern below.  The top half circle measurement is 12.25" and the length is 8.25."  I cut 2 and serged the edges and sewed to the rest of the tunic.  The top width of the bottom piece (the black knit) is a little wider around than the middle band it was sewn to--the middle was approximately 22 inches around.  I asked my daughter if she wanted the top straight or flared.  She immediately went to her dresser and pulled out a RTW top she likes and said, "I want it just like this!"  So I turned the shirt inside out and I traced the bottom part she liked.  Now I can add this little flare to other t-shirts I make.


In addition to the above project, I completed 6 pairs of Crafty Mamas Funky Pants.  I'm in need of some sewing for me now!

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I could tell that this was a success from the smiles on my girls' faces when they saw their new outfits. :)

      Delete
  2. This is such a great idea Shirley to get more wear out of their outfits! I love the color combinations :) cute, cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was my daughter's idea. I use to do these things when they were little and forgot about it.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!