Monday, August 11, 2014

Sunday Visit Dress

Ottobre 3/2013 #19
Sunday Visit Dress
Size 134
Alterations:  Collar assembly


This blog post was supposed to feature something I made for myself, but I got so excited over this dress that sewing for myself got pushed to the back burner.  I started to make myself a dress out of a fun flower cotton spandex print, but I could quickly see that I chose the wrong pattern.  It was becoming way too stretchy for the garment I had in mind, so out came another pattern and within an hour, I had 2 pairs of leggings for my girls.  And then....full stop as I realized one of my girls didn't have anything to wear with her new leggings, so this dress was quickly traced and being sewn up!


This is the Ottobre Sunday Visit dress, same as the Hexagon dress but with an added collar and cute center front trim.  I love sewing with trims and want to do more of that.  I actually had this flower trim in my stash since my girls were toddlers!  I use to put it on the hem of some of their dresses when colors matched.



I purchased this white floral lawn from Denver Fabrics for $3.95 a yard.  The legging fabric came from Girl Charlee.  Isn't it cute!


Since the white fabric is sheer, I had to use white batiste to line the entire dress except for the sleeves.  
Instead of ribbon ties at the back neck, I made some using the dress fabric.  The pattern collar is actually supposed to be sewn right to the dress, turning under a seam allowance on the edge first. I wanted more of a "collar" for this dress.  So, I cut out the pattern piece 4 times instead of 2, so there would be fabric on both sides, interfacing as well.  I followed the pattern instructions except for stitching the collar down to the bodice.  I love how the collar is attached in between the shoulder seams so it is only on the front side of the dress!  Since I made the collar this way, I kept the neck facing a little higher instead of turning down at the neckline seam.  If I had, the collar wouldn't have stayed flat against the dress.  I like how it turned out.  It is a very girly outfit.


Next I think I will try out a new pants pattern for myself!

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley



12 comments:

  1. Love the dropped waist, Shirley, and that flower trim is perfect against the white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I really love this dress on my daughter; it is such a different style than she normally wears. I hope it is a keeper for her!

      Delete
  2. I love the flower trim! Love the whole outfit. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I love Etsy. I have found the nicest trims there!

      Delete
  4. Great job on that collar! I love it. And those buttons :) They made me smile. I think your DD's haircut is awesome, too. And you've reminded me that I need to make some leggings... badly for Kiela! lol - good luck on your me-make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! They look like buttons but they are actually a trim of some sort. I don't know what to call it other than "trim!" LOL

      Delete
  5. That dress is lovely! Which edition of Ottobre is it from? The trim makes it extra special, like you I am trying to use more of the trims, lace and ribbons that I've been harvesting for years xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe! It is from the Ottobre 3/2013 #19 issue.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!