Butterick 4970 (7-8-10-12)
Alterations to Pattern: Used a coordinating knit instead of a
lace inset, as well as adding an additional ruffle
My daughter asked for a galaxy outfit! Ask and you shall receive,...thanks to Girl Charlee where I found this beautiful knit. The tunic only requires 7/8 of a yard to make, 1 yard if making the largest pattern 12 size. I was pleased to find I had a bold purple knit in my fabric stash; it coordinated perfectly!
With 1 yard of the purple knit, I had exactly enough for a pair of leggings, the bottom ruffle of the tunic, as well as the inset piece. Since I already have a legging pattern that works well for us, I decided to use it instead of the capri leggings included with this pattern. This jersey knit only had a slight stretch lengthwise, so I added a couple inches to compensate for this, as well as adding a band to the waist for the elastic. It is always a relief when my improvisations work!
The purple ruffle is sewn right sides together with the bottom of the tunic top. The galaxy knit ruffle was gathered with a long basting stitch and then zig zag stitched it to the top of the first ruffle seam. I left the edges of this ruffle raw since knit doesn't fray. I like the look. The purple ruffle is hemmed with my coverstitch machine.
The neck, front openings, and armholes are sewn with a narrow hem. For the neck line, I ironed half inch knit interfacing strips prior to hemming to insure that my fabric would not stretch out. I also added a little vintage trim to the top of the inset.
Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley