Monday, September 15, 2014

Galaxy Dress

Butterick 4970 (7-8-10-12)
View A
Size 8
Alterations to Pattern:  Used a coordinating knit instead of a 
lace inset, as well as adding an additional ruffle 


My daughter asked for a galaxy outfit!  Ask and you shall receive,...thanks to Girl Charlee where I found this beautiful knit.  The tunic only requires 7/8 of a yard to make, 1 yard if making the largest pattern 12 size.  I was pleased to find I had a bold purple knit in my fabric stash; it coordinated perfectly!


With 1 yard of the purple knit, I had exactly enough for a pair of leggings, the bottom ruffle of the tunic, as well as the inset piece.  Since I already have a legging pattern that works well for us, I decided to use it instead of the capri leggings included with this pattern.  This jersey knit only had a slight stretch lengthwise, so I added a couple inches to compensate for this, as well as adding a band to the waist for the elastic.  It is always a relief when my improvisations work!


The purple ruffle is sewn right sides together with the bottom of the tunic top.  The galaxy knit ruffle was gathered with a long basting stitch and then zig zag stitched it to the top of the first ruffle seam.  I left the edges of this ruffle raw since knit doesn't fray.  I like the look.  The purple ruffle is hemmed with my coverstitch machine.


The neck, front openings, and armholes are sewn with a narrow hem.  For the neck line, I ironed half inch knit interfacing strips prior to hemming to insure that my fabric would not stretch out.  I also added a little vintage trim to the top of the inset.


Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley


10 comments:

  1. I've never used knit interfacing strips, but they're on my shopping list. Looks like they worked really well. Fabulous outfit, Shirley!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! Last winter, a bolt of knit interfacing went on sale online, so I grabbed it. It was about 40% off, so it was a big savings. I just use my rotary blade and cut off the strips that way.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, that fabric is so cool! Does she absolutely love it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does Kelly! She was home sick on Monday, so the whole day...."are you going to finish it so I can wear it tomorrow?!" LOL I had no choice but to finish it in one day!

      Delete
  3. I'm in awe of that fabric!! Love love love it. This outfit is so cute! What a nice fabric amount too! You were able to make a lot with just those yards. They work so well together too. I'm loving it! What a great pattern

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am so happy with how it turned out. Just looking at it in a whole yard, I wasn't quite sure what I could do with it. I'm so glad I could turn it into something really girly. Everytime I see her in it, I feel like she should be carrying a light saber! LOL

      Delete
  4. Wow, lucky girl. Who else can dream up a galaxy outfit and actually get one, hehe. I will have to go look for that fabric for my son (not for a tunic, though.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! LOL When she told me she wanted galaxy fabric, I have never even seen any before. All 3 of my kiddos actually get online now and look for fabric.

      Delete
  5. Hey it's Nicole from The Girl Charlee Team. I LOVE this galaxy print tunic, and the solid purple fabric matches perfectly! Thanks for the mention.

    www.girlcharlee.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! GC made my daughter very happy that you had this fabric! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!