Thursday, September 11, 2014

My Jamie Jeans with New Look 6027


Named Clothing Jamie Jeans, Size 34
New Look 6027, Size 10




I made skinny jeans!  I love the unique look of this pattern.  The thing I love most about this pattern is the center seam on the pant legs!  Overall, I have to say it is not a difficult pattern to work with.  The only challenge I see is if you haven't installed a pants zipper before.  However, I do like the instructions for this.  I used a nice, light weight cotton fabric for the pocket bags and used the reverse side of the denim for the pocket opening.  I also used gold top stitching thread.  I had to cut about 1 1/2 inches off the length, which I like because the bottom of the pant leg isn't quite as narrow to get my wide foot into!


The only error I made was not getting my jeans button accurately placed.  It should have gone over maybe 1/4 inch more away from the edge.  Now my zipper is exposed a little at the top when looking sideways at it.  However, my shirts will always be covering that and I will get it right the next time.  I left off the belt loops.  These stay up just fine and I mostly wear shirts over my pants anyway.  So, to make things easier for me, I left them off.

I used a fairly stretchy denim (4% spandex), which was a little stretchier than my muslin.  I read reviews where others used fabric with minimal stretch and still got good results...not me.  After my muslin, I attempted to use a denim with little stretch and discovered my pant legs were way too snug to pull on comfortably.  Woe is me.  Maybe that would work if I went up one size.  Anyway, this is my third time making these with only one wearable pant.  I have great experience at making them now though!



I know it is kind of end-of-season to make a fluttery sleeved top, but I like this pattern and wanted to give it a go before summer was gone for good.  I thought this shirt paired well with skinny jeans.



I do like this top.  It is a quick sew.  I made Version E.  The pattern fit well without any modifications.  I cut 3 inches off the length after I had it made so it would look like a tunic on me and not a short dress!  The pattern instructions were easy to follow.  I did hem my sleeves, as well as the bottom of the tunic using a narrow edge hem foot.  My fabric is so light weight that a narrow hem seemed like a good idea--much quicker too!  I especially like the front yoke design.  It is sewn into the front on the sides, then the front blouse piece is gathered a little before sewing to the bottom of the yoke.  It is nicely finished on the inside of the blouse too by yoke facings, which are interfaced.



I was at the mall this week and noticed a lot of skinny jeans in store front windows.  The Jamie Jean is a very current pattern design.


I was thinking.  Here I have made myself 3 outfits in the past 3 weeks.  If I had gone to the store and bought 3 outfits, I would be done with my new clothing venture.  However, since I sew, I have become almost obsessive about the next outfit whether it be for me or for my kids!  I guess that comes with the territory of hobbies and loving to sew.

Denim fabric purchased from fabric.com.  Blouse fabric purchased from Denver fabrics.
My necklace is a silver butterfly.


Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

18 comments:

  1. And all three of your latest outfits have been really awesome. Love the fluttery top. And the skinny jeans! I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liza Jane! I feel like I am on a roll with 3 good outfits!

      Delete
  2. Super impressed with the jeans, Shirley!!! They look so professionally sewn. The top sets them off perfectly. Ha,ha.. I'd skip the belt loops, too, if it were me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! Top stitching really makes jeans look RTW.

      Delete
    2. Hi Shirley, I've featured your jeans and blouse today...

      Delete
    3. Thank you Pam! It is always such an exciting reward to get featured by you on your fabulous blog! I can't wait to see what you do with your jeans! To me, jeans is a staple clothing. I love wearing dresses and skirts, BUT, nothing can compare to the comfort of a well-fitting jean!

      Delete
  3. Love love love this outfit!! The jeans turned out great! I have a Jalie jeans pattern but haven't felt like making more jeans the last year. The shirt is great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I like the Jalie Pattern too. I made them about 2 years ago and thought I'd be making several pairs, but then I found several jeans on clearance at the BX for around $7 each and I lost my desire to make them until this pattern.

      Delete
  4. Third time is the charm Shirley! I'm tempted to try this pattern. Your look great on you! But I'm scared to make jeans for some reason. It seems hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think of them as really long shorts! You make beautiful shorts, so you won't have any problem with jeans.

      Delete
  5. Really pretty outfit and the jeans are great. I'm glad you got this pair to work :) The seaming is great, but I also like the fun pockets.

    How has your recovery been coming along?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy. I have worn these out now for the day and they are so comfortable. They are definitely my favorite pair of jeans at the moment. I want to make myself a pair of cargo pocket pants from a Burda magazine. I originally saw them on your blog when I was doing an internet search. I seem to like everything you have made for yourself! LOL

      Delete
    2. Oh, I forgot to tell you how my recovery is; thanks for asking! Mid October I will have my surgery to get the expanders removed and the implants put in. The expanders feel like you have rocks in your chest, so I'm looking forward to getting them out!

      Delete
    3. Wow, mid-October is coming up! Given your description, I'll bet you're looking forward to having this part of the process over with. I didn't realize how many steps there were. You are one tough gal!

      Delete
    4. Yep, next week is surgery. I'm feeling a little anxiety, but I guess no one likes to have surgery though. It is about a 2-year ordeal for me from biopsy to finishing up with surgery. I have another procedure after this one to finish everything up. I'm looking forward to moving next summer so I can put it all behind me a little easier with a change of scenery.

      Delete
  6. I love this whole outfit Shirley! I'd wear it as often as I could. So pretty, yet easy style to do things with the kids. I am super impressed with those jeans! They look a-ma-zing on you!! Really, great job! (and good luck with the implants in Oct. I hope it goes smoothly. I have my endoscopy and echo cardiogram then so I'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I really want to make another pair of these jeans. Probably without such a bold topstitching so they will not be similar. I'm about ready to ask for a zipper in my chest! ha ha I will still have to have some finishing touches after this surgery, but I think they won't require staying overnight. In Germany, they keep you so long in the hospital; much longer than the U.S. I know it is a good thing and to my benefit, but I hate being away from my husband and children like that. Plus I don't speak much German, so communicating with the nurses is extremely difficult. :( I hope the procedures you have go smoothly as well and these doctors get you on your feet and feeling better!

      Delete
    2. Wow! That would be tough not being able to communicate with them! It is good that they keep you a bit but I would find it hard to be w/o the family too. I have really bad anxiety with surgeries too. It's the IV's and sedation that get me in full panic mode. I have learned to ask for anxiety meds before hand so that I'm so out of it I don't know what's left from right. lol. I've asked at times for a sort of port in my vein for blood draws. I have tons and they take forever to get a vein and I end up so bruised and battered. IV's usually take 2 hours to get in :( Stinks.

      But. You will do awesome on this next surgery. You are right there at the end!!! Good luck.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!