Monday, September 29, 2014

Ottobre Boy's Cargo Pocket Pants

Ottobre 4/2008 #33 Hi-Hat Pants, Size 140
Alteration:  Additional length added

Athletic Jersey, self-made 


I love making these pants for my son.  This is the 3rd time.  You can see my initial review here.
This is such a great pattern that I have yet to make him any other style pants.  However, now he has put in a request for black twill with no pockets...same pant pattern though.  



There are 6 pockets and boy are they time consuming!  I spent nearly 4 hours on pockets alone.  Ottobre's instructions for the zipper installation are great and make the process very easy to follow.


A while back I made my son this jersey, made by tracing a RTW athletic jersey that I had.  See how to do this here.  Since he is a Portal 2 fan, I found a drawing online and made a stencil of it with freezer paper.  That was really fun to do and I need to do that more often with shirts.



It takes 9 buttons to make these, which can get pricey.  What I did this time was to cut off the buttons of the pair he outgrew and just recycled them to this outfit.  

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

9 comments:

  1. Those are really gorgeous pants. I'm sure my son wasn't big enough for these when the issue first came out, but I should try them now. I've made the guitar jeans from that issue many times, but it's time to start trying patterns that go to the top sizes so we don't get sized out of all our favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is such a wonderful issue and I have used it many times for other outfits. I'm so glad Ottobre has things for boys. The pattern market is better than it use to be, but for older boys, Ottobre is my best source!

      Delete
  2. What an amazing outfit! Those pants are fantastic! I really should start making pants for my son. RTW don't fit well right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! These pants are a great pattern for boys! I thought they were going to take me such a long time to make, but once you are through the pockets, they are a breeze to finish.

      Delete
  3. 4 hours on pockets - You are a patient person, Shirley!!! The pants really do look fabulous and it's the pockets that make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! When I was working on those pockets, I couldn't help but think....I will be working on these pants for weeks!! LOL Then they fell together quickly after that last pocket.

      Delete
  4. Wow I really like these pants! It is so hard to find "acceptable boy pants" for this age. I will have to show Tayden and see if he'll let me make him some. The pockets look great even though they took a long time. I think it's awesome you re-used the old buttons ;-) My kids love portal as well, that game gets me dizzy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristin! These are such a great pair of pants for boys; I hope your son likes them! I love that I'll be able to make these for my son for a while as he grows. So far he has been sticking to the 140 and I'm just increasing the length on the pattern.

      Delete
    2. Isn't that funny how boys seem to go straight up? Tayden was wearing his size 8's forever, then 10's but they were too big, just the right length. This year, however, he shot right up to 14's and skipped 12s! He finally put on a tiny bit of weight this summer. I sure hope he starts getting taller soon because he's the shortest in his class... lol.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!