Friday, September 19, 2014

Ottobre Skirt & Hoodie

Ottobre 5/2014
#9 Everyday Luxe Jersey Hoodie, Size 36
#10 Suopursu Bell-shaped Jersey Skirt, Size 34


This issue of Ottobre Woman is fabulous!  I absolutely love this outfit.  Fabrics were purchased from Girl Charlee--2 yards of baby blue solid cotton jersey knit (incredibly soft) & paint daubs floral modal cotton jersey knit,  It appeared that the two fabrics would be a good match.  It is hard to tell when you are shopping online having to rely on your computer screen to discern color, but it proved to be accurate!


I made everything according to Ottobre instructions.  Technically, this is a very easy sew. 


Look at these beautiful colors!  It definitely lends itself to a variety of matching knit tops.   The skirt is only ONE piece, which is cut out 3 times with a double layer of fabric.  Having bought 2 yards, I have enough left over to make one of my girls a skirt...the one that called dibs on the leftovers first!  Three panels are sewn together twice, creating a front and a back.   Then you attach the front and the back at the side seams.  Hem the bottom (made with my coverstitch machine) and then attach elastic at the top (basted with a zig zag stitch, turned down once and sewn with my coverstitch machine).  Finished!  How quick and painless is that?


 I added a lining to the hood.  I don't like to see the seam where the hood pieces are joined.  It is rare that I wear a hood that is attached to a shirt.  I think of it more as a design feature for looks.  I made the lining out of a white jersey knit.  I basted the two hood pieces together and then treated them as one when attaching to the neckline.  The inner neckline seam is covered by a piece of twill tape, as per the pattern instructions.

The back of the hoodie is a little longer than the front with a split hem at each side.  The bottom hem is sewn first and then the side hem is completed after completing the sleeve and side seams.


All I need now is to crochet or knit myself a nice chunky cowl scarf for when it gets cold.



I am wearing a necklace that was made from lava rock from Mt. Vesuvius.  


Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

7 comments:

  1. You look adorable in the hood! :) This is another great outfit Shirley. You make such cute things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I'm starting to be able to look at patterns more now and tell if it is "me" or not. So I think I'm getting better results!

      Delete
  2. Awesome outfit, Shirley. You look fabulous!!! It's really YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! It really helps to look at a pattern and know if it is something that will suit you--this has really been hard for me to achieve for some reason. I think now I am finally getting it. LOL I just wish fabric planning would fall into place for me. That still seams to be hit or miss. It doesn't help that I don't really have a local place to shop where I can literally put my hands on a fabric.

      Delete
  3. Slow down Shirley!! Wow you are so productive lately! I bet it is the time you gain when the girls are in school? I love when you get an issue of a magazine and can sew and love everything that's in it :D That said, I love this outfit!! I'm going to come raid your closet ;-) I really want to try out both these now because they look great! I can't wait to be un-sick so I can start sewing up a storm. Excited to see what you make next

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha....my husband has been busy with school, so I have had extra hours to sew. My kids are getting antsy waiting for me to sew up something for them, but I'm on a mission to get my winter wardrobe done first! Now I need to go somewhere so I can wear my new clothes....somewhere other than to buy groceries. LOL I am going to slow it down because I ordered a Craftsy class on knitting a sweater!!! I am so excited!!! I'm sorry to hear you are still feeling under the weather. :( I hope you feel better soon.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Shirley :) I see a new doc on Friday so wish me luck. I hate having to do the scopes down my throat but my stomach... ugh. It hates me. Digestively I'm a mess.
      But anyway, you sure have bulked up your wardrobe for winter! It all looks fab. Good luck with the knitting!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!