Thursday, October 9, 2014

Burda Top with Leggings

Burda Young 7678
Size 36

paired with Ottobre Sammalikko Leggings
Size 34



 I started out looking through my assortment of legging patterns and was going to trace something new.  Then I got to thinking, "why am I doing that?"  "Use what I already know fits and works well."  Out came my Ottobre Women's Legging Pattern Sammalikko.  I am so glad I chose this pattern...again.  Twice before I used a sweater knit.  This time I chose a Ponte de Roma knit--LOVE!  These are such a quick and easy sew.  I could never tire of these and I need one in every color now!



For my top, I used Burda 7678.  There are two options available--wrap-style top or a slight v-neck top.  I do like how it turned out.  However, I am not thrilled about the neckline, nor how it is sewn together.  The instructions clearly state to stop the shoulder seam 5/8" before the neckline, pressing open, and then stitching the neckband.  That was not fun.  I basted this seam 3 times before I said, "that's enough" and went with what I had.  I'm not the most patient seamstress.  I do like a good project, but this was just a t-shirt, a simple one at that, so it tried my level of patience.  It's not bad.  Next time though, I will definitely reshape the neckline and sew it the way my other t-shirts are assembled.  


I also made a narrower band at the bottom.  I only purchased 2 yards of my knit and this top requires 2 1/4 yards for size 36.  When I make this top again, I will still keep the narrower band though because I think it is a good width for me.  I also added a band at the sleeve hem.  I thought it would be fun to have the stripe going horizontal there.  Truth be told, my coverstitch machine got hungup on the thin fabric and made a mess of the hem, which I then put a whole into when I was ripping out the stitches...again, lack of patience clearly evident now.  It was a creative recovery, which I have found lends itself to some good inspirational tactics.




Fabric purchased from Girl Charlee:

Shitake Brown Heather Gray Half Inch Stripe Cotton Jersey Blend Knit Fabric
Shitake Mushroom Brown Solid Ponte de Roma Fabric


I have to take a bit of a break.  It is surgery time once again for me.  It is time to get these rocks expanders removed from my chest and get implants.  I am also getting my port removed!  It has been in me since February 2012.  It will be nice to sleep comfortable on my side again, something I have been unable to do.  Since my last surgery in May, I have had to sleep in the recliner with pillows to kind of get somewhat on my side.  Sleeping all night on my back gives me a backache, so a bed has been out of the question for now.  I will still require another procedure after this one to finish things up, but I think that is done as outpatient--I hope so.  It has been a long path to follow, but now there is light at the end of the tunnel and I am so happy to be almost finished with the process.  

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

10 comments:

  1. Ahhh, you made me smile! Thank you Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your surgery, Shirley! I hope all goes well. And I hope you get to sleep in a bed again soon. I can't believe you've had to sleep in a recliner for so long. I know you will be glad when you can return to life as normal, or something like it anyway ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liza Jane! I know I will still have to sleep in the recliner during healing. With surgery to the chest, it is amazing how much you need your muscles to pull yourself up out of bed! Healing shouldn't take as long this time though since the chest muscles have all been stretched out now--that was the extremely painful part! This surgery they just replace the expander with the implant. An in and out kind of thing I hope.

      Delete
  3. I think the top looks great, I love the sleeves with the "batwing" effect. It is very flattering. I can't believe your coverstitch ate the material!! That stinks but you did recover nicely. I'll have to try some of that ponte de roma that everyone is raving about; your leggings look nice and comfy.

    I wanted to wish you luck with your surgery. I'm sure it feels wonderful to be this far down the path and near the end. I also wish you a speedy recovery! You will be in my thoughts Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, you will love the ponte de roma! It feels so nice on. So far, GC fabrics is the only place where I found a combo of cotton with polyester. I don't know if that matters, but it feels nice against the skin.

      Delete
  4. Leggings in every colour means tops to match as well. Another fabulous outfit, Shirley.

    Wishing you a very speedy recovery and hope you are able to sleep in a bed soon. Hugs. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! I ordered fabric to make 2 more sets! I am home now and recovering well. Thank you for the well wishes!

      Delete
  5. Ponte de roma for leggings? Why didn't I think of that! Much better for winter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll like them Joy! So thick and comfortable. I ordered 2 more colors with matching prints for shirts. I always try not to have to many repeats of outfits, but....I really like it so I'll make more!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!