Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Lola Dress

 Victory Pattern -- Lola Dress
Size 2


I shortened my Lola pattern by 4 inches at the shorten/lengthen lines.  I compared the pattern to a dress I had previously made and wanted the same length for this dress.  I should have gone with 3 inches instead of 4, because I missed the length I was aiming for.  I used sweatshirt fleece, but I didn't pay attention to the stretch percentage.  Let me just say 10% is probably not enough for this dress.  Well, in a larger size maybe.  Based on my measurements, I am definitely a size 2.  I think it would get out of hand tracing patterns in different sizes based on stretch factor, even though I have thought about it!

I realized my error in stretch when I tried it on.  I had everything sewn except for the ribbing.  What made matters worse is when I sewed the bottom to the top, I had the front bottom sewn to the BACK top.  I even basted it together first and still didn't realize it!  Sadly, I put it on and then realized oh my gosh....I can't get it off!  I was home alone too.  Doesn't help that I'm only 2 weeks out from my surgery.  I thought I might have to cut my way out of it, but thankfully I was able to get it off.  Patience was wearing thin the hotter I got in this sweatshirt fleece too.  I knew I had to get it off one way or another because my husband and children weren't going to be home till much later in the day.


Now that it is sewn on correctly, it is still a little snug to pull on, but not while I am wearing it, so I am happy.  I do like it.  Of course I would like to make it again in a better stretch fabric.

The pockets are so nice and big!

This is a great pattern!  It does take some time to tape it together, but everything matched up well.  I did put a new blade in my serger before sewing this together.  I knew with the bulk and layers of this dress, it would need to be sharp.


The little triangle piece is the reverse of the fabric.  It probably would have looked better if I had kept it right side up since it kind of stands out and almost looks like an opening in the neckline with everything else being so much darker.  Oh well...wearable muslin!

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

12 comments:

  1. I like your last comment- oh well, wearable muslin. Cute! It looks very warm and snuggly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it turned out really cute! I'm still trying to find decent sweatshirt fabric to make my first Lola. What kind of fabric did you use for the bottom band? Regular knit ribbing or something else? Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! For the band, I bought something called varsity hatchi rib knit grey from Fabric.com. I was a little concerned how it would do sewing it onto a thicker, heavier fabric. The rib knit is very thin and light weight. To get that seam to lie flat, I zig zag stitched the serged seam down with the same color thread as the rib knit so it is not visible. I had thought about maybe inserting a piece of wide elastic into the hem band to make it more structured, but since I wasn't sure how well this was turning out, I decided to just sew it together and hope for the best!

      Delete
  3. Cute! I have this pattern. I've been waffling over whether I think it will work for me or not. It looks fab on you! I think it's definitely worth another go in a stretchier fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liza Jane! I am going to try this in a ponte knit. I found an interesting black and white print last night on Girl Charlee that I am going to get. I think a ponte knit will feel really nice as well as stretch and have better shaping results. I have never been one to wear sweatshirts, but the idea of this dress in a sweatshirt fleece appealed to me.

      Delete
  4. The style suits you, Shirley. I rather like the length given that you have tights or leggings underneath. And those pockets - love them. I'd be walking around with my hands in the pockets. I always used to get into trouble as a kid for doing that. Not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! You know, now that you mention it, I do remember in days past when I was young that people did commonly say, "take you hands out of your pockets!" I forgot about that. Funny isn't it. I'm not sure why either.

      Delete
  5. Shirley I love the seam lines on this! I, too, like to compare to previous patterns to make sure I have the right size.

    I shouldn’t laugh, but it is funny to think of you struggling to get out of it. I’ve had that happen to me too and it isn’t funny at the time!

    And I totally thought that was an opening at the neckline, but I loved it!!!

    You look great for just being out of surgery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! It was funny getting stuck-- ha ha At least I'm sure it looked funny! I got a ponte de roma knit in black and white and I'm going to make this again really soon. I love the dress and the big pockets are awesome!

      Delete
  6. I love your rustic photo at the top! What a lovely dress. I like the fallish colors you chose. I made this awhile ago (also in a not stretchy-enough fabric.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wish I had paid attention to the stretch percentage with this fabric. :( I have some ponte knit I want to sew it up in, and I'm sure it will fit much better. Atleast the pattern is all taped and cut on making it a faster sew this time!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!