Friday, October 24, 2014

New Look 6298


Nothing beats a black & white dress.  I imagine it is almost as nice as the iconic little black dress--something I still need to make myself.


I used New Look 6298, size 10.  I'm really quite pleased with the New Look patterns I have been sewing up. They are affordable and seem to be competing well with other pattern styles.


If you are looking for a quick and easy dress to sew, this is it.  I made it in a few hours from cutting to hemming.  It did require a minor alteration.  Thankfully I tried the dress on before I hemmed the bottom.  I had to take in the arms and side seam allowances, making a nice curve at the waist.  It looked rather sack-like on me.  It doesn't on the pattern envelope, but there is quite a bit of ease in the finished measurements.  It is definitely not boxy.  I just wanted a closer fit.  It was easy enough.  I pinned the dress together on the new seam line I wanted to create, basted it, and tried it on again.  


BIG pockets!  I did shave off a 1/2 inch when I took in the side seams; however, they are so big it doesn't really change the look.

I used "big black houndstooth ponte de roma knit" fabric from Girl Charlee.  For the pockets, I used black scuba knit from Fabric.com.  I like the faux leather look it gives.

The darts at the top of the raglan sleeves are a nice design feature.  The neckband pattern piece is perfect!  I really like when there is a pattern piece for this.  I didn't even have to shorten the length of the dress, which is rare for me.  


There is a seam up the middle back.  You almost can't tell tell until you get to the waist and see how the print gets narrowed.  I actually made a whole pattern piece so I could cut the front out in a single layer of fabric.  I wanted to be able to see that my design print was even on both sides.  I'm happy with my matching.

I just got around to looking at why my coverstitch machine wasn't behaving properly on my last knit project.  I had removed and put back the piece of the machine that makes it easier to do armholes. Well, when I had popped it back into place, it wasn't in there level, so it wasn't letting fabric feed properly.  Geez.  I need to pay more attention to what I am doing.


It was late in the day when taking these pictures, so the lighting wasn't very good.  My photographers, a.k.a. my children, do a great job taking them!


Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley


10 comments:

  1. The dress looks awesome! I love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I have always wanted to do something with houndstooth but this was the first time I have found it in a knit, so I knew the time was now!

      Delete
  2. Your children do an awesome job taking your photos! Love that big houndstooth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liza Jane! Having 3, usually one of them is up to the task. There are times though where I have to beg and plead. LOL One of my girls in particular, boy, I think she has the makings for a future photographer. She really focuses and takes her time.

      Delete
  3. I agree - the kids do a great job taking your photos, Shirley. I don't think I've ever seen such a large houndstooth fabric - looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! I have been searching and searching for a large houndstooth print in stretch for a while. I saw a dress in a magazine once that I liked and its houndstooth was even bigger than this! It was really neat and I wanted to make my own.

      Delete
  4. I love that houndstooth, and your dress looks really cool with those boots :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn! I find myself planning out my fabric based on my boots. LOL I need more boots!

      Delete
  5. I love this dress :) I'm going to shamelessly copy you Shirley! I already have the fabric on order, only I'll be doing a blue/black houndstooth.
    I have had to take in the side seams quite a bit on new look too, but I do like their designs. You look really great in this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! Where did you find the blue/black houndstooth? I haven't see that color combo. I bet it turns out beautiful!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!