Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Faux Leather Skirt with a Renfrew Top


I bought some Vegan leather from Girl Charlee to see what I could do with a leather skirt for myself.  I don't own one, so I'm not exactly sure how they should fit.  I looked online at images to try to figure out what kind of pattern I wanted to work with.  I decided that Vogue 1247 would give me some nice seam lines.  I made this skirt before in a soft denim, which you can see here.  That post was about the time I was really enjoying having hair again!  If anyone is wanting to see/know how long it takes hair to grow back in after chemo, my blog definitely gives a good reference.  I can remember searching on Google how long does it take hair to grow back in.  


 Anyway, back to my skirt.  I didn't find the fabric too difficult to sew, but I did use my non-stick teflon foot.  My machine wouldn't move the fabric without it.




I put in an exposed zipper for the first time.  It looks pretty good to me.  I don't think I'll do that again--one skirt with an exposed zip is enough for me.  I have seen so many on other blogs that they grew on me.  I found an online tutorial on Craftsy, which made it fairly easy to do.  Honestly, I wasn't sure what type of zipper method would be best for this fabric.  If I make this skirt again, I will try an invisible zipper.


I carefully pressed my seams open with a pressing cloth on low heat and then top stitched them down.  That went well except for the vertical seam in the back (below the zipper).  I had to adjust my presser foot to almost nothing so it would glide easily over the fabric without pushing it too hard, creating little ripples.  I even tried putting interfacing there, but that didn't help at all.


I left off the front in-seam pockets.

One thing that helped greatly was Farbenmix Stylefix double-sided tape.  I used this to hold the hem in place, as well as holding the waistband seam together for top stitching.  I bought some fabric glue, but it didn't work.  Maybe it was the kind I used.  I limited how and where I stuck pins.


This is the first time I made the Renfrew with the cowl neck.  I've reviewed the Renfrew before and there are tons of reviews out there--it's a great staple pattern to own.

I'm thinking I will wear this to my husband's Christmas party this year.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley


10 comments:

  1. Whistle! That's a pretty hot little skirt! I like it! The shirt looks good too, but the skirt gets all the glory in this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly!!! You make me smile :)

      Delete
  2. Woohoo!!! Way to go, Shirley. You look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I have a couple more colors of this Vegan leather on order. It is fun to have something so different in my wardrobe. :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome! I love it in the brown leather. I often see leather skirts in black. And the exposed zip is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! When I searched online, all I saw was black leather, so I decided to go with brown since I have brown boots. I seem to match clothes to my shoes instead of my shoes to my clothes!

      Delete
  4. I love how you sew outfits Shirley :) I never seem to do that and then I get a great top with no bottom to wear it with or vice versa.
    Your renfrew looks great! I love the print and it goes perfectly with the skirt. the exposed zipper is awesome and I love that it is vegan leather ;-) Great outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I started sewing whole outfits because the same thing would happen! I would have separate pieces that wouldn't go with anything. I still have some skirts with nothing to match. It is a little more work, but this way I have a better chance of wearing them.

      Delete
  5. Your skirt is so cool; I love it in the leather! This is my favourite skirt pattern too :) Great outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! It was your blog where I first found this skirt! You inspire me :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!