Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Jalie Bra 3131


Bra Review, Jalie 3131
Band size R
Cup size V

This is a great bra!

You might remember this fabric; I used it for an Ottobre skirt I made recently.  It takes so little fabric to make a bra!  I am quite pleased with my results.  This is my second attempt.  Last week I made a muslin and the band size was perfect, but my cups were a little on the small size.  I'm not sure why, but I'm wondering if it is due to my recent reconstruction surgery with implants.  Things still need to settle in (I think).  This time I went up 2 sizes and I'm pretty happy with the fit.  I can definitely use less bra strapping since I have to tighten them up almost all the way.  I have to do that with any store bought bra.  Also, I need to make the armhole FOE piece shorter by about 1/2 inch so it will pull that curve a little snugger in around me.  With those adjustments, the fit will be perfect for me.

 The band stays put where it should across my back, so taking that under bust measurement to determine band size is precise.  There isn't anything very technical to the construction.  If you haven't sewn with fold over elastic, you might want to practice a little with that first.  

My only recommendation is for you to cut your suggested cup size out of scrap fabric, gather it at the bottom and try it out for size.  It won't be exact this way, but you should be able to get a good idea if the size is right for you.

Jalie has a tutorial online; take a look at it and you will be amazed at how simple this bra goes together.  I watched it a few times while I was waiting for my pattern to come in the mail.

I tried to photograph this on my body form, but I wasn't able to get it adjusted where it looked right.  As far as support, I am probably not the best one to say since with implants, I'm not really going anywhere. LOL   However, the way this bra is constructed and lined, it feels pretty sturdy and secure.  It is definitely worth a try if you are interested!

I purchased all my supplies from Sew Sassy.

Thanks for stopping by~Shirley

15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No underwire in these! That is why I like it. I use to wear underwires, but I don't think I'll be able to anymore. No clear elastic. There is plush elastic at the bottom that you sew on top of the bottom of the bra (covering the edge) then you fold it under and stitch again. Honestly, this bra is easy to sew together, but I hesitated saying that because if you haven't used FOE, it might be a challenge. Jalie's video tutorials make this so easy to do. The first one I didn't use it and just followed the diagrams and I was like, "what?" LOL This time I put my laptop next to my sewing machine and would hit play and pause till I was finished. Much easier this way! Definitely get the pattern! I bought it through pattern review and it got to me really fast, which means something considering how far it had to go. LOL

      Delete
    2. So I had to delete my first comment. LOL I watched the video and some of my questions were answered. Seeing her sew in fast motion was hilarious!

      I was eagerly awaiting this review! I wonder though, is there clear elastic under the bust in the bottom part that goes around you? I have such a hard time with store bras since I'm allergic to latex and most contain some sort of latex in their rubber/elastics. I'm super impressed with how great this looks! And that you said it wasn't too hard. I really want this pattern now :)
      Great job Shirley! (and now you have a super way to use up scraps!)

      Delete
    3. You are too fast Shirley! I've used FOE before so I'm not too scared of that. I like to order my Jalie's through PR too - they come really fast to me ;-) I can handle the plush elastic and actually have some here so that is good. I'm going to get this pattern now. I like the cami part too. I'm a visual person so I'll probably do the same thing as you with the video! Thanks for answering me so quick Shirley!

      Delete
    4. oh my gosh! When I hit submit on the reply, your first comment disappeared and I thought I deleted it! I went into comments to see if I could retrieve it and then saw your other comment! LOL

      Delete
    5. hahaha. sorry :)
      I finished my renfrew and ottobre tees. I just have the plantain to do. loving the first twp!!!

      Delete
    6. Kristin, I just get on my computer this time of day cause we just finished up with dinner! I figured you would have used FOE with all your sewing ability. I have only started using it the last couple of years. I didn't even know what FOE was. ha ha Yes, I like the cami too and will definitely be making them. I recommend (and I'll add this above) to cut out a cup in scrap fabric and put it up to you to see if it looks like it will fit. That way you won't be wasting any fabric.

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, bras now?! I've been eyeing the bloggers for about a year thinking about it. If you say it's easy maybe I'll take the plunge. I've made undies but not a bra yet. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I've been following bloggers doing these awesome silky and lace bras, but then I saw this one and it looked a lot easier and cheaper to make. It is definitely easy Kelly. I made it in just a couple of hours in the morning. Once I get where I don't have to follow the video/instructions, I'd probably get it done even quicker if I wanted to. I like it. I like the idea of not having to go buy bras. I have a really hard time buying bras because I am a between a 30 or 32 band size, but bigger than the B cup, so it is really hard to find a bra. Before surgery, I could buy my bras off of brastop.com, but they have big cups with a huge range of band sizes, but now I'm too small to shop there. LOL

      Delete
  3. Oh, it's gorgeous! I love the pretty fabric you chose too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn! It is nice to be able to make a bra from fabric scraps!

      Delete
  4. Shirley, you are amazing!!! Is there anything you can't sew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! It is still a work in progress. It is hard to get that perfect fit, but I'll get there eventually. I have been sewing for over 30 years now, and believe me, a lot has gone in the trash! But now, more makes it to the closet, so I'm happy!

      Delete
  5. Ooh, I'm glad to see you review this pattern. Very nice! I've actually owned it for a while, but still hesitated - partly because it doesn't seem to get any rave reviews. But I'm looking for more of a workhorse pattern (like Jalie does) rather than something fancy anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, I really like it. Recently I made one and just used cotton lycra for the inner lining and like it much better than using the typical "bra" lining fabric recommended. It is so much softer. Also, this too makes it even cheaper to make since I have plenty of lycra cotton scraps lying around!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!