Bra Review, Jalie 3131
Band size R
Cup size V
This is a great bra!
You might remember this fabric; I used it for an Ottobre skirt I made recently. It takes so little fabric to make a bra! I am quite pleased with my results. This is my second attempt. Last week I made a muslin and the band size was perfect, but my cups were a little on the small size. I'm not sure why, but I'm wondering if it is due to my recent reconstruction surgery with implants. Things still need to settle in (I think). This time I went up 2 sizes and I'm pretty happy with the fit. I can definitely use less bra strapping since I have to tighten them up almost all the way. I have to do that with any store bought bra. Also, I need to make the armhole FOE piece shorter by about 1/2 inch so it will pull that curve a little snugger in around me. With those adjustments, the fit will be perfect for me.
The band stays put where it should across my back, so taking that under bust measurement to determine band size is precise. There isn't anything very technical to the construction. If you haven't sewn with fold over elastic, you might want to practice a little with that first.
My only recommendation is for you to cut your suggested cup size out of scrap fabric, gather it at the bottom and try it out for size. It won't be exact this way, but you should be able to get a good idea if the size is right for you.
Jalie has a tutorial online; take a look at it and you will be amazed at how simple this bra goes together. I watched it a few times while I was waiting for my pattern to come in the mail.
I tried to photograph this on my body form, but I wasn't able to get it adjusted where it looked right. As far as support, I am probably not the best one to say since with implants, I'm not really going anywhere. LOL However, the way this bra is constructed and lined, it feels pretty sturdy and secure. It is definitely worth a try if you are interested!
I purchased all my supplies from Sew Sassy.
Thanks for stopping by~Shirley