Friday, November 21, 2014

Minecraft Creeper Dress

Ottobre 6/2012 #30
Sulka Dress
Size 134
Fabric:  Ponte de Roma Knit, purchased from Girl Charlee


It all started with, "Momma, when can you make me a winter dress?  Oh, and I'd like it to have a creeper face on it too, please."  So, here is a Minecraft Creeper dress as requested by one of my girls.  A while ago I made my son a Minecraft jacket here.




I made the Sulka dress before, but this time I omitted the outer bodice piece since I was not going to be making any kind of bows.  However, I did cut the inner bodice piece out twice so I could use one as a lining to cover the applique stitches.  I had a great thought (later) that I could have also cut out the back bodice piece twice, totally enclosing the gathered waist seam.  Next time I make this dress, I will do that.

When placing the bodice and gathered skirt piece right sides together, you could take that extra bodice piece, putting it right side to wrong side on the skirt piece and then flip up the bodice pieces and baste the two together.  


I used black cotton lycra knit for the applique and neckband.  Hems and neckband top stitching with black thread.

Also, any of you who gather with elastic, is there a method to this that I am missing?  I did it, but not without repeated effort and frustration.  I seem to pull the elastic out from my needle at the beginning even though I run a couple stitches through it, run off my elastic when sewing....you get the picture.  I struggle with this.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I was curious how a ponte de roma knit would work with this pattern.  It is heavy, but it makes a nice winter-wear dress.  This knit is very soft too and easy to hem.  I did cut 1 inch pieces of interfacing (woven) to make my hemming easier.  It makes turning up your hem quick too because you don't have to measure it around since your have already cut your interfacing to the depth of the needed hem.

My daughter has already put in a request for a Tardis dress--my little Dr. Who fan.  I asked, "what makes you think I can just make these theme-type dresses?"  She says, "because you can."  I wish I had grown up with my very own tailor...ha ha.

Thanks for stopping by~ Shirley

10 comments:

  1. your kids and my kids would be the bestest of friends. I am glad Kiela is at school right now becuase I'd be sewing this up tomorrow for her if she saw it ;-) Good luck with the Tardis one!!

    I love this pattern and all it's many uses. This is a perfect creeper dress for a fraction of the cost of a RTW one :) You did a great job!

    Oh, and with the elastic. I have found that using 1/2" clear elastic works much better for me than the 1/4". I also make it about an inch longer than I need too on each end so I have a tail to hold on to when stretching it from the start and end. I go pretty slow too and constantly rearrange the elastic. It would be nice to have 3 or for arms and hands during the process. I'm sure it's amusing to watch me struggle. There are a ton of gathers in this dress too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, I have thought the same thing myself....our kids like the same things. When they see what you have made your kids, then mine want it too. ha ha With the elastic, do you use a long stitch or a zig zag stitch? Also, after using the elastic, do you go over and serge that seam cutting off a portion of the elastic?

      Delete
    2. I use a zig zag stitch. Sometimes a pretty skinny one so it all stays on the elastic. Then I sew (in this case) the skirt part to the dress bodice with my regular machine first on a 2.5 length, 1 width zig zag - if I'm patient, then I serge that seam after. (Or I just go straight for the serger if I'm not patient, lol).

      Delete
    3. That helps a lot--thank you so much! Patience is definitely a must and something I don't always have.

      Delete
  2. You are such a good mom. And she is a smart girl. "Because you can." Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liza Jane! My children's requests are keeping me on my toes and stretching my sewing skills since I am continually having to rise to new challenges.

      Delete
  3. Super duper cute! Her friends are going to be jealous! The appliqué looks really good. Excited to see what you come up with for the tardis!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! It's fun to combine applique with clothing. Thank goodness for the internet to get some good ideas from!

      Delete
  4. What a cute idea, and you know you're spoiling her forever :) Custom clothing is normal for her, haha.

    My only thought about the clear elastic is quality (and age) makes a difference. The stuff I've been buying at Wawak/Cleaner's Supply is far better than the JoAnn/Hancock variety.

    Oh, I guess I have another thought, haha. Sometimes it just can't handle gathering the heavier fabric. I'll have to get some 1/2" stuff like Kristin mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, I have never thought about trying a different elastic (other than size). That makes since though. I have found other elastics to not all be the same and never thought the same of clear elastic!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!