Tuesday, November 4, 2014

My Lounging Outfit

True Bias Hudson Pant, Size 2
Renfrew Top, Size 6



 Ahhh, it is so nice to have comfy lounge pants to wear!  If you are looking for a easy sew and quick gratification project, this is the pattern to have.  I am amazed at how well drafted and fitting these pants are.  I used a thermal knit I had in my stash; I purchased it so long ago that I can't remember from where. For the pocket trim, waistband, and ankle pieces, I used navy blue ribbing.  For the inner pocket and lining pieces, I used the same thermal knit fabric as the pants.



I did not have 2 inch elastic for the waist.  Instead, I used some 1 and 1/4 inch that I had on hand. The instructions have you sew 2 lines of stitching for a casing for the drawstring, which is sewn through the elastic.  I just didn't like the looks of it and picked my stitches out (that was fun).  It was probably my error...a combination of wrong size elastic and sewing too quickly.  This started out just as a muslin, so I was throwing it together rather haphazardly.  However, I really started liking the thermal dot with the navy blue ribbing, so I decided to unpick my poorly sewn casing and leave the waistband as is.  I made a drawstring out of the thermal knit.  I cut a good length of fabric by 2 inches and sewed up one side and turned it right side out and knotted the ends.  I made sure to cut the fabric in the direction of least amount of stretch.



I won't be wearing these out of the house since the white thermal knit is a little bit on the sheer side if the light catches it just right.



For my Renfrew top, I cut out a size 6 this time since I wanted a more roomy fit and feel to it.  The fabric is a stretch rayon jersey knit, which is very stretchy and drapey.  The neckband isn't as tight due to this, but I'm okay with that since this is just for the purpose of a pajama.  I purchased this knit from Fabric.com.  I used most of it on leggings and had only an odd-shaped remnant left, so it was a tight squeeze getting it cut out, but thankfully it worked.



I am already cutting out a second pair of pants--I like them that much!  It is rare that I turn around and make the same thing immediately.  I will get some 2 inch elastic though and see if I can get the waistband right next time.  However, I am totally happy with the looks of an unstitched waistband too!  No one is going to see it and I rarely ever tuck my shirts in or wear a shirt that short in length where the top of the pant is seen.



On a personal note, I had my stitches removed yesterday from the 2nd phase of my breast reconstruction surgery!  I'm still a work in progress.  Apparently radiation can tighten up the skin, so the left side is not wanting to cooperate as much.  It's really grabbing on and holding that implant in. My surgeon will do a little more with it during the next surgery, which is in January.  I'm getting there!!  I ordered the Jalie bra pattern to make some nice, simple cotton knit bras.  So, I'm excitedly waiting on my pattern which should be arriving in the mail any day.  I ordered my bra-making supplies from Sew Sassy.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

6 comments:

  1. Oooh comfy! You know I still haven't made. Renfrow! I owe myself some sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do owe yourself some sewing! It seems that is all I have been doing is sewing for myself. I need to start focusing on my kids again....and Christmas projects now!

      Delete
  2. You are on roll sewing for yourself, Shirley. Do you ever sleep? Looks super comfy. Bet is was a pain unpicking, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sleep Pam! I just am a wee bit obsessive compulsive when it comes to sewing...I can't stop! I really love it and I never tire of it. It seems like there is always something else I want to make or something that needs to be made for the kids. I think I have a good amount of clothes for the winter now for myself, so time to concentrate on my kiddos again.

      Delete
  3. I wish I had this pair today! It is so cold and windy here. I love the cuffs on the bottoms of the pants, too. I'm making my first Renfrew in the next couple of days here !! Oh, and please do tell me how you like the Jalie bra pattern. I've been itching to get it and try it but nervous about it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, I love the Jaile bra pattern! I made my muslin last Friday. The band fit is perfect and snug like it should be. However, I need to cut out larger cup size. I measured my full bust and went by the sizing chart, but it is too small. I don't know if that is a result of a different shape due to my implants or what, but the bra looks fantastic! It wasn't too small that I couldn't wear it though. One thing that doesn't make since to me is that it calls for a considerable amount of stretch in the jersey, but the lining (tricot or swimwear lining) is definitely not that much. The lining and jersey are basted together, so one is not going to stretch more than the other when wearing. Anyway, I think what I'll do is cut out the cup in a scrap fabric and gather the bottom like it has you do and then just kind of hold it up to me and gauge the fit that way before I sew the next one. Once I get the fit right, I can see making myself many bras and not buying them anymore. You can make them at a fraction of the cost.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!