Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Vogue 1411 with Butterick 5925


B5925
Version A
Size Small
Fabric:  Patchwork print jersey from Girl Charlee


I really like the way this top turned out.  I think this fabric would make nearly any pattern top appealing, even a simple t-shirt.

There is an interesting design feature--a little twist in the neckband and pocket band, which is made by offsetting marks that you match up on the pattern pieces.

The pockets are made by basting it first to the side piece which is then sewn to the shirt lower side seams.  At the top of the side piece, it gradually tapers in to a very narrow seam with the bottom being very wide .  Then you attach the sleeves, sewing down the arm edge, continuing down the side of the shirt till you meet up with the top of the side piece.  This matched up really well.


This shirt takes 2 yards of fabric up to a size large.  There are 7 pattern pieces!!

You can mix this up by combining coordinating fabrics.


V1411
Version A
Size A
Fabric:  Ponte de roma knit from Girl Charlee

 


Hmmm.  I'm not sure if I like the pants much.  They are just okay to me.  My husband and children like them.  I modeled them for my family before hemming to see if I should continue...ha ha.  Do you ever do that?  They fit well and have a unique design.  Maybe it is because there was a lot of work in putting these together that I just don't feel that the time spent met my style expectation.  The whole time sewing them I kept thinking to myself, "I don't know."  I will wear them though.  If I invest the time and it fits I will wear it.  Maybe not as often as other favorites.  I kind of wish I had just made my Ottobre legging pattern.  It is simple but I love it.  Oh well.  I'm trying to make sure I don't just have 10 of the same thing in my closet.




On to my technical thoughts about the pattern.  You really have to sit down with these and make sure you get everything matched up correctly before sewing.  Seams have to be sewn, pressed open flat, and then topstitched while straddling the seam.  I used a twin stretch needle size 2.5.  Hindsight I wish I had used a wider needle.  I think it kind of made it pucker a little, raising this seam a bit.  However, the seams do stand out more and that is what makes this pant pattern unique from others.  I didn't shorten these and I'm 5'1, so if you make them, you might want to add some length to them!  I almost wish they were longer on me.  I am petite but I always like to wear my pants a little on the long side since most times I wear boots with chunky heels.  Using such a narrow size twin needle could have contributed to losing a little on the length since my seams pulled up a bit (does that make sense?)

Simple waistband with elastic.

That actual fit is good.  They are supposed to fit snug.  I made the straight leg version instead of the tapered leg.  Since they are shorter than I had anticipated, I don't know if they look too short with these ankle boots or not.  Maybe I should try tucking them into a different style boot.

Size A requires 1 1/4 yards of fabric. There are 8 pattern pieces!!



Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley




8 comments:

  1. What!?! Shirley, those pants look too fabulous on you! The seaming is amazing and seriously they look great on you! Very slimming. I love them paired with this top too. Great outfit! I can understand not wanting your closet to look all the same. it is easy to reach for a tnt pattern, but brave to step out of the comfort zone to try something new :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. I put this pants pattern on my list now... ;-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kristin! You made me feel better. Sometimes it is so hard to pull out a new pattern. I pulled this pants pattern out a few times and then would fold it back up and save it for later. LOL

      Delete
  2. I really like the shirt! The fabric is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! It is a fun-type blouse to wear. It is super comfy!

      Delete
  3. I really like the pants, too! I like that they're leggings with almost a boot cut leg to them; it's a flattering shape, anyway.

    How do you like Girl Charlee's ponte knit? I've been wondering but haven't taken the plunge yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy! Thanks. I do like Girl Charlee ponte knit, but I haven't bought it from other sites because, so far, Girl Charlee's is the only one I have seen that has "cotton" in the mix. To me, that would seem to be softer but I could be wrong.

      Delete
    2. Ah, that's good to know. I've only purchased ponte locally, as I want to avoid the over-polyestery 1970s style fabric. Some cotton content sounds promising.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!