Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Lining my Sewing Box

Over the Thanksgiving holiday, we went to a flea market known for its antiques.  I was so excited to find this sewing box!  I don't know if it is an antique or not, but I love it.  I am actually going to use it as a jewelry box.  

I like inexpensive jewelry--big chunky necklaces--so I have been needing a way to lay them out since hanging them has resulted in a tangled mess.  I didn't want a "jewelry box," but rather something that could be used as one.  When I saw this sewing box, I knew it would be perfect!


This morning I measured each compartment and cut out the dimensions plus a 1/2 inch seam allowance.  I also had some cream vintage lace on hand that my Aunt Nancy sent me earlier this year.  I think it looks rather Victorian now. :)  The fabric is Moda's Cinnamon Spice by Blackbird Designs.


I used quilt batting between the layers of fabric to give it a pillow-like touch.  I sewed the lace within the seam, just finger-holding it as I sewed it together.


4 compartments in the right top side.


2 compartments in the left top side.


I had enough lace for all but the bottom piece.  It opens up quite wide!


Thank you for stopping by ~ Shirley


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly! I'm so happy with it. I wasn't sure what I wanted, but I told my husband that I'll know it when I see it. After I bought it, it occurred to me that I could line the compartments. It was a lot of fun.

      Delete
  2. What a find, Shirley!!! Lining each compartment is a great idea. The fabric looks vintagey and teamed with the lace, is perfect and adds to the charm of the box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I had so much fun making the linings. I must do more craft-type projects! It is nice to take a break from sewing clothes. Sewing for 4, there always seems to be something that needs to be made for someone. LOL

      Delete
  3. Shirley this is so pretty! I love, love, love that sewing box! I agree, a great find!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I am so happy with how it turned out. Every time I pull a necklace out, I admire it. ha ha It feels good to have special items like that though. It just feels good to have something not knew and spruce it up to your own personal tastes!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!