Thursday, December 18, 2014

Victory Pattern--Lola Dress

Victory Pattern--Lola Dress
Size 2
Alterations:  Shortened skirt pieces by 2 inches


This is actually my 2nd attempt at the Lola Dress; my first version is here.  This time things went much better with a different fabric type!  


I love this dress.  So far, this has to be my favorite knit dress I have made.   It makes up into such a nice and tailored fit due to the princess seams.

After you get your pieces cut out, it really sews up quickly since all can be assembled by serger if you have one.  I do recommend basting your bodice to the skirt first to make sure that your seams are all lined up.  With such a busy print, it may not be as noticeable if I was off here, but a solid fabric definitely would be glaring at you.


I trimmed my pockets in a stretch faux leather, the same fabric I used for my leggings.  To do so, I trimmed an inch off the top of the pocket and cut my leather trim in strips of a 2.5 inch width.  


For the "triangle" shaped piece at the neckline, I also cut it from the faux leather, but I used the back side so the black would be more muted than shiny.  If you look closely, it actually looks like that piece is off center, but it is not.  The triangle falls right in an area of the fabric that has little black triangle points, so it makes it look like it is off center.  Oh well.  

Fabric from Girl Charlee:
Black abstract shapes on cream ponte de roma knit & black stretch faux leather
Ribbing purchased from Fabric.com (I had some scraps left over from my son's jacket)


I have been sewing up some leggings and other clothing for my children, as well as crafting.  I just celebrated my 47th birthday, so I couldn't let this week pass without a new outfit for myself!

I wish everyone a Merry Christmas!  I'm excited for Christmas break to come; I love the extra family time.

Thank you for stopping by ~ Shirley


18 comments:

  1. Happy belated bday Shirley! What a great outfit to celebrate :) I love this pattern (I may have to buy it now, lol). Such a great fit on you and the fabric choice is perfect! I'm excited for Xmas break too, but K has been home all week already - so I'm a tad less excited now, hahahaha. Merry xmas to your family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! It really is a fun pattern to make up. Takes a little time putting the pattern together and cutting it out, but wow does it sew up fast! Makes all the pain of printing, taping, and cutting worth it. Oh my....K was out a week! Well, thankfully she is better in time for Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Whoooo! Looking good! I love the dress! How are the pants to wear? Are they soft on the inside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, they are soft on the inside and the cool thing is they are super easy to get off if you pull them off inside out. They just slide LOL.

      Delete
  3. Looking good, Shirley!!! The dress looks fabulous and super comfy, but I'm more impressed with the faux leather leggings. The fit looks perfect and you'll be able to dress them up or down. Happy belated birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! I was curious as to how this pattern would work out with the faux leather, but it was pretty easy. I did use a serger but ended up going back and using my sewing machine with the knit stitch just to the left of the serger stitching to make sure it was a snug stitch that wouldn't pull when wearing. So, it took a little longer since I sewed everything twice. I'd say next time I'd sew by machine, but I'm pretty sure one pair of leather leggings is plent! LOL

      Delete
  4. Happy birthday! You look great. Your Lola is fabulous and I love the faux leather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liza Jane! Merry Christmas too you! Fun times with that sweet little baby girl of yours. Christmas with little ones is precious.

      Delete
  5. Looking great Shirley! Love the black and white. Dress looks nice and comfy :) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hanki and Merry Christmas to you as well!

      Delete
  6. You look terrific! I like the faux leather details a lot.
    Happy birthday Shirley Ann, and also wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the style of this pattern so very different from the common run of designs found. Love your dress too. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog :) I am glad I found your blog now .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diya! I love wearing this dress. It looks nice but also feels comfortable as well--a great winter dress. Thanks for visiting my blog!!

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday! And I love this new version of the dress. Great print and fun details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! I just realized I now have 3 white and black dresses I have made. ha ha I think I need to start buying other colors for dresses now.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!