Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Jalie Dolman Top


Jalie Dolman Top
Size R
Fabric: Charcoal Gray Black Stripe Solid Two Sided Cotton Jersey Knit Fabric
purchased from Girl Charlee


This fabric is amazing!  It is very soft and warm and kind of thick since it is made of 2 layers of fabric--stripes and a solid.  I am really happy with this top.  There are 4 pattern pieces.  I love the neckline, which seems to be a perfect shape and depth for me.


I like the lower back too!


I made the Collette Mabel skirt, version 1.  It is made from the same fabric as the shirt.  I decided to use the striped side for the waistband for interest even though it won't be seen by anyone.

This skirt had so much static electricity in it and was clinging to my legs terribly.  I hope I'll be able to wear it.  Maybe I need to make a short slip to wear underneath my knit skirts during the winter.


The back side has a seam down the middle, which I do like.


The skirt is okay to me.  I haven't made the other versions, but I will eventually.   I was on the fence about purchasing the pattern, but having a knit skirt with a kick pleat appealed to me since I don't have anything like that I can make.  I just didn't feel like making it yet.  ha ha  This is definitely a good pattern for beginners...super simple.


This outfit took me only 2 hours to sew up!  That doesn't include tracing and cutting time.  I did that the day before.  This outfit cost me $14 for 2 yards and I still have a little left over.


I also made a Mabel in the fabric that was left over from my daughter's jacket.  I don't have a single top to match it though.
 

On a personal note, I have surgery next week for the final phase of my breast reconstruction.  I'm so glad to finally have it finished.  This makes surgery #5.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

11 comments:

  1. You look sew beautiful in your stunning new outfit! Also sending you love and prayers for next week xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Josie! And thank you very much for the prayers for my upcoming surgery. It makes me feel better when I am on prayer lists.

      Delete
  2. had to laugh Shirley. I was just looking at that Jalie top this morning but wasn't sure if I wanted to buy it. I guess I need to now! I really, really love your version. The stripes look great on you and I love the back of the top too. It looks awesome with your new skirt! Hopefully you can find another fabric to match the second skirt :)

    Good luck to you! I'll be thinking of you that/those day(s)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I forgot to ask. What size did you use for the Jalie top? Did you use your measurements, or go up a size? They tend to fit me so snug so I never know if I should bump up or not.

      Delete
    2. Too funny that you were looking at this pattern this morning! I used my measurements. Normally all 3 don't fall into the same size, but it did for this pattern. That is probably due to the Christmas cookies still on my hips LOL I think it is a really good fit, but even going up a size wouldn't be extreme I think because of the style of the shirt. I expected a fuller, looser fit, so I was kind of surprised at how fitted it felt.

      Delete
  3. Love the Dolman top in the stripe, Shirley. Looks great with the skirt, but would work with jeans, too. You'll be pleased when the surgery is over. All the best. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I was thinking too that it would be a great shirt for jeans. I have a new jean pattern that I am excited to try hopefully soon.

      Delete
  4. Great outfit! I like the shirts longer in the back too. I have several knit skirts that I love! There used to be a product you could spray inside your skirt to stop the cling. I don't remember what it was called and I don't ow if they still make it. But it would be in the laundry section, I imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I will check for the spray; that sounds wonderful. I was wondering if rubbing a dryer sheet on it would help too.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Liza Jane. I'm getting my suitcase packed. It always looks like I'm leaving for a holiday when I have surgery because I take my laptop, movies, hand sewing, and even food because I am staying in a German hospital.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!