Sunday, January 11, 2015

Jalie Yoga Pant with Dolman Top

Jalie Yoga Pant (3022)
Size L
Added 1 inch to length

Jalie Dolman Top (3352)
Size L


LOVE these Jalie Yoga pants!!  Could there be a better drafted pattern, I don't think so.
These fit my daughter so well.  I cannot wait to try this pattern out for myself.  

I used my serger and top stitched the seams with my sewing machine.  It looked like I was getting a little wave of fabric with my top stitching, but this pressed out with the iron.  I tried it on scrap fabric first before assembling the pants.


The fabric is actually from a pair of pants that I had bought from Hanna Andersson a couple of years ago.  The fabric is an amazing cotton spandex that is mid to heavy weight.  I cut the waistband off and then cut right through all the seams on the legs so I had individual pieces.  I pressed them and then cut out the pattern.  If she would have been in one size larger, I wouldn't have had enough room to cut them out.  There wasn't enough of the fabric to cut out a waistband, so I used a black cotton spandex that I had in my stash.  I actually like the look.  I used a light gray thread for all top stitching.

I think it is well worth the effort and time it takes for the top stitching.  It looks amazing on.


I just made this top for myself.  I thought it would compliment the yoga pant well and it does. I used a gray rib knit for the neckband.  I zig zagged the neckband flat, as well as the arm and shirt hems.  For kids clothes, sometimes I just like to do what is quick and easy.   


Since the top fabric is so light and drapey, I decided to sew it completely by sewing machine according to Jalie's sewing instructions (zig zag and then a straight stitch).  I was afraid serging with 4 threads would add too much bulk and weight to the seams.  Do you ever experience that?  It really doesn't take long.  Longer than the serger, but not by much because when you are doing the straight stitch, the fabric is already sewn together with the zig zag so you aren't removing pins and just zipping through it now.

I had to get one more sewing project in before surgery.  It helps keep my mind off of things.  I also stitched up a Watson bra this week out of some cotton jersey knit.  It is a great fit!   I used some white mesh for the lining and at the band.  It is a little on the stretchy side, but I expected that.  However, it is a wearable muslin and a comfy bra to wear around the house!  I'm excited to make it again in more bra-type fabrics.  I have some pretty mesh, powernet and piping elastics on the way.



Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

8 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so glad you like this pattern :) I'm wearing mine right now, hahaha. (I'm trying a pair in cotton velour this week) You did a fantastic job with the topstitching. It gets a little tedious at times ;-) I think the top is a fantastic compliment to the pants. Your bra looks so nice and comfortable too! very professional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin? I love the Jalie Patterns. It is such a great value since I can make stuff for me and my girls from it. I just bought the swim short pattern of theirs, so now I need more fabric again! ha ha It is a never-ending cycle.

      Delete
    2. awesome! another one you will love :D I have that on my cutting table too. I cut out a top/tank for K's new suit but she really wants the jalie swim shorts again as the bottoms. Pattern review is having an activewear contest that starts jan 15th so wait to cut into yours until then! ;-)

      Delete
    3. Ah, so maybe that is why I got an email from Pattern Review that they are waiting on this pattern from the manufacturer. I don't know when it will be shipped.

      Delete
  2. The topstitching makes for a very professional finish, Shirley. I would totally wear your daughter's outfit, both around the house and to Pilates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! Once I recover from my surgery, I will be cutting myself out a pair. I wish I had more of the top fabric; it is such a nice and soft fabric to have. Seems like I overbuy on fabrics I don't want again and underbuy when I do end up liking them.

      Delete
  3. The yoga outfit looks good, nice and comfy and good for yoga too! I like the floral watson too. So pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn. I am finding the Jalie patterns just make such great staples to turn to for me and my girls.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!