Friday, January 23, 2015

Watson Bra & Bikini

I'm so excited about this pattern.  I have made a couple now.  The first ones were definitely a combination of trial and error.  It also helps to have the right kind of fabric.  

  I love the results I got with this one.  There is still more to be perfected, but this one will be definitely worn and not recycled for rings, sliders, and back fasteners like the others.


I purchased a half yard of purple pink roses patterned lace fabric from Girl Charlee, which I used for the outer cups and outer layer of the cradle ($3 purchase).  

I used milliskin to line the cradle, a double layer of stretch mesh for the inner cup piece, as well as lining the outer cup pieces.  Light weight powernet was used for the band.  These fabrics were purchased from Spandex World.  This is the first time I have bought from them and I'm very happy with the variety and quality of fabrics.  



I really like the soft look of piping elastic.  I bought several colors from Sew Sassy.  I had some Offray ribbon bows in my sewing stash.


The bra is not lined (seams exposed) and I am okay with that.  I pulled out my RTW bras and they are not lined either--I never noticed before.




I was pleasantly surprised with the fit of the bikini.  I like it!  I'm such a Hanes kinda girl when it comes to my undies that I didn't think I would like a handmade bikini, but I do.  


On a personal note, I have been taking it easy since my last surgery.  I am happy with the results and so glad to be finished. The only discomfort that remains is some rib soreness, as well as tenderness at the skin graft area.  I had a check-up this past Tuesday and all is healing well.  I will go back next week too.  I think some sutures will be removed.  I'm looking forward to getting out of bandages so I can wear my new bra!

Thank you for your prayers!

Shirley

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear you are doing well after your surgery! The undies set is nice! I've been watching all my bloggers make them. Maybe one day I'll try! I've made undies but not bras. I like my full padding. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I'll be so glad to get the bandages off. Having to replace them with the tape is just awful on my skin. That part is the painful part. lol I'm enjoying making this bra. Since I no longer know what my size is anymore, it was easier just to make some instead of going through the chore of looking in stores!

      Delete
  2. Pleased all is going well, Shirley. Great job making your own undies, especially the bra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! I think I'm hooked on the thoughts of making my own bras now. So much cheaper than buying them.

      Delete
  3. LOL I'm such a hanes girl too, but these are so pretty! you are getting really, really good at making bras now Shirley! This looks totally RTW. I'll have to check out spandex world. I was browsing them the other day and saw they had some cotton/lycra too ;-) Although I have really, really overspent on fabric in the last 4 weeks :(
    Love this set and the fabrics you used :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Spandex World has so many different types of fabrics! I let my girls each pick out one yard of a crushed velvet type fabric. It is really kind of thick and beefy! I made one of my girls a nightgown and my other daughter wants a pair of leggings that I haven't gotten to yet. Sometimes I think it would be nice to have a part time job in a fabric store just so I could maybe have a discount. I don't think I'd mind just working for fabric! LOL

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!