Sunday, February 22, 2015

Angel Bootcut Jean AW4200

Angela Wolf Pattern, bootcut jean
Size 4
Alterations:  Shortened length by 3.5 inches
Removed 5/8" from CB seam


This is the first time I made jeans from this pattern and I love it!  This is my first entry into the Pattern Review Jeans contest too.  When I started making these this week, I wondered if I should be sewing up a pattern I was familiar with instead.  However, I really wanted to try out these jeans because they are very comparable to RTW in the stores.  

When I first cut my pattern out, I was concerned I chose the wrong size!  With there being 5/8" side seam allowances, it makes them look big LOL.  I'm used to sewing with smaller allowances.  I couldn't be happier with the fit--nice and snug but not tight.  The pattern instructions say you can make this up in a non stretch denim, however, you would need to size up or adjust your pattern.  I definitely want to try this out one day.

I sewed every day, ALL day this week on these.  I spent probably over 20 hours between tracing the pattern, cutting, sewing, top stitching, and rivet and button installation....phew!  Normally I can sew up an outfit in a few hours but I took my time and there is always a learning curve with a new pattern.  Also, there is a lot of sewing in a pair of jeans!  I have been wanting to make myself more, but it is hard to make that kind of time commitment when there are so many other easier projects to engage in. 


 As you can see, even removing 3.5 inches in length, they are still long on me.  I prefer to wear chunky heeled boots with my jeans. I probably could have gone another 1/4" shorter because they are nearly at the bottom of my boot heel.  I am 5'1.


My favorite feature of this jean--the back pockets!  I love the design.  I used a gold jeans top stitching thread, single needle.  I drew out a design with chalk first.  I also threw some bartacks in for a fun design feature.  Those are jeans buttons as well.  That makes this pair of jeans a little more expensive since there are also 2 jeans buttons at the waistband.  I think my package of 6 buttons was about 6 Euros.  I also used rivets at the pockets.  I love using rivets!   They give them a professional look.

I'm still relatively new to fit alterations.  When I tried my jeans on, I had a significant gap at the back waist.  I started taking the seam in slowly, getting deeper each time till I got the correct fit.  I couldn't see by twisting around in the mirror, so I would run downstairs each time and have my husband take a look for me.  I don't usually sew in the evenings once my husband and children are home, but I could not do this alone.  After I made the change to my pattern, I remembered having to do the same thing when I made my Grainline Maritime shorts.  I compared the alterations and they were darn near identical!  So, the next time I try out a new jeans pattern, I am going to throw caution to the wind and make this CB adjustment beforehand.  I hope this will be a standard fix for me.

I also wanted to note that I have a Pfaff Performanc 5.0 and had no problems at all with the buttonholes.  Not a hang up one time.  Before cutting my buttonholes, I put some fabric glue on the backside so that it will not start to fray after being cut.  Works beautifully.


I also put a bartack at the bottom of the twin top stitching on the side. 

I used a twin need for top stitching when I could, but any rounded or pivoted areas, I used a single needle.

I didn't have any problems with the pattern at all.  The instruction booklet is very thorough and well illustrated.  It is also spiral bound, so it is easy to open and lay flat.  The pattern is printed on a nice, heavy weight white paper.  

Here are a couple close up pictures.  I tried using our regular camera, but I couldn't see any better quality pics than my ipad takes.  I really need to get a better camera one of these days.



Somehow I got my coin pocket a little high, so I will watch for that next time.



Fabric used:  9.7 ounce dark indigo stretch denim, 97% cotton & 3% Lycra Item #4828308 
Purchased from:  Fabric.com
Purchased white cotton blouse

I'm so happy to have been able to go outside for some pictures.  Even so, taking pictures is hard with limited sunlight.

I hope to get another pair of jeans made this month to enter!  While I'm in the "sewing jeans mode," I want to take advantage of that.  I also have to focus on some swimsuit sewing this next week.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

21 comments:

  1. These jeans look AWESOME! They are suck a great fit and I like that taller waistband. This makes me want to make jeans again! I used my denim on my hubby's chinos so I need to buy more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! At first I thought, "wow, that waistband is really wide." I pulled out a pair of RTW jeans and compared the waistbands and they are the same width! The Jalie jean pattern is a really nice one to work with too.

      Delete
  2. Shirley, these are FANTASTIC! Really. So, so good. All the top stitching, rivets and jeans buttons were worth it. They look high end. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful job! Looks like RTW, which is what we all strive for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the work really paid off, they look great and the fit is amazing. I'm the same height and I hem jeans a similar length especially in winter. You don't want cold ankles and sometimes they keep shrinking a bit so better safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh my gosh, I completely forgot about the possibility of denim still shrinking! Thank you for reminding me. It is best to give a little extra room for that in length.

      Delete
  5. AWESOME, Shirley!!! So professionally sewn with the rivets and topstitching, and the fit is perfect. I was going to say that the denim will probably shrink a little, but someone beat me to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! It's so great having blogs to help each other out and remind of us things we forget!

      Delete
  6. I LOVE your jeans - they look spectacular on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Shirley those are absolutely phenomenal! The topstitching is beyond amazing xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to laugh when I read you shortened the length 3.5 inches. LOL. You are certainly petite ;-)
    I’m glad you took a chance with a new pattern because these are amazing. The fit is truly perfect!
    20 hours is some serious sweat equity into these pants. Were the rivets hard to put in? Good luck in the contest! I hope to be motivated enough to try a pair for me. I have the Jalie pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha....not only did I shorten them by 3.5 inches, they are still long by about 3 inches since my boots have a 3" heel! I have a prym thing (don't know what it is called other than Prym) and it makes putting rivets in a breeze. You can buy buttons too that are specifically for it, which I did for the jeans and they just pop in. There are videos on youtube that show you how. It does snaps too, which I didn't know until looking up videos. Anyway, the Prym, will actually poke a hole in the fabric too. Then you pull those out and put in other things that hold the rivets or the buttons, etc. I love it. I like the Jalie jeans pattern. I have only made myself one pair from it that fit. One pair I had the stretch going the lengthwise of the fabric and didn't notice till I was done. :( Live and learn. I won't make that mistake again. I am going to try out a non stretch jean using a Vogue pattern I have, and if I get them done in time, I'll submit them too in the contest. I want to make my swimsuit first though. Making jeans is intense sewing and I need something easier to do. LOL

      Delete
  9. WOW! Very impressive; your jeans turned out absolutely amazing Shirley Ann! the topstitching looks fabulous and the fit is awesome. Now you'll never ever go back to rtw when you can make jeans as gorgeous as these :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn! It is already so hard to buy anything from a store. I look and think, I can make that...or make that for less! Now with making jeans, there is something else I won't have to buy. It is shocking how much the stores sell jeans for too.

      Delete
  10. Shirley,
    I've just been on Pam's Threading my way and saw your jeans. Cannot help but send you a note: it's perfect! Love it, love the pockets and how you managed to make them totally fit! (And I feel flattered to be featured in the same Pam's post together with you :) - mine is the beginner's kid pirate costume) I hope we bump into each other in the blogosphere again. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your high praise! You have made my day truly and thank you so much for visiting my blog.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!