Angela Wolf Pattern, bootcut jean
Alterations: Shortened length by 3.5 inches
Removed 5/8" from CB seam
This is the first time I made jeans from this pattern and I love it! This is my first entry into the Pattern Review Jeans contest too. When I started making these this week, I wondered if I should be sewing up a pattern I was familiar with instead. However, I really wanted to try out these jeans because they are very comparable to RTW in the stores.
When I first cut my pattern out, I was concerned I chose the wrong size! With there being 5/8" side seam allowances, it makes them look big LOL. I'm used to sewing with smaller allowances. I couldn't be happier with the fit--nice and snug but not tight. The pattern instructions say you can make this up in a non stretch denim, however, you would need to size up or adjust your pattern. I definitely want to try this out one day.
I sewed every day, ALL day this week on these. I spent probably over 20 hours between tracing the pattern, cutting, sewing, top stitching, and rivet and button installation....phew! Normally I can sew up an outfit in a few hours but I took my time and there is always a learning curve with a new pattern. Also, there is a lot of sewing in a pair of jeans! I have been wanting to make myself more, but it is hard to make that kind of time commitment when there are so many other easier projects to engage in.
As you can see, even removing 3.5 inches in length, they are still long on me. I prefer to wear chunky heeled boots with my jeans. I probably could have gone another 1/4" shorter because they are nearly at the bottom of my boot heel. I am 5'1.
My favorite feature of this jean--the back pockets! I love the design. I used a gold jeans top stitching thread, single needle. I drew out a design with chalk first. I also threw some bartacks in for a fun design feature. Those are jeans buttons as well. That makes this pair of jeans a little more expensive since there are also 2 jeans buttons at the waistband. I think my package of 6 buttons was about 6 Euros. I also used rivets at the pockets. I love using rivets! They give them a professional look.
I'm still relatively new to fit alterations. When I tried my jeans on, I had a significant gap at the back waist. I started taking the seam in slowly, getting deeper each time till I got the correct fit. I couldn't see by twisting around in the mirror, so I would run downstairs each time and have my husband take a look for me. I don't usually sew in the evenings once my husband and children are home, but I could not do this alone. After I made the change to my pattern, I remembered having to do the same thing when I made my Grainline Maritime shorts. I compared the alterations and they were darn near identical! So, the next time I try out a new jeans pattern, I am going to throw caution to the wind and make this CB adjustment beforehand. I hope this will be a standard fix for me.
I also wanted to note that I have a Pfaff Performanc 5.0 and had no problems at all with the buttonholes. Not a hang up one time. Before cutting my buttonholes, I put some fabric glue on the backside so that it will not start to fray after being cut. Works beautifully.
I also put a bartack at the bottom of the twin top stitching on the side.
I used a twin need for top stitching when I could, but any rounded or pivoted areas, I used a single needle.
I didn't have any problems with the pattern at all. The instruction booklet is very thorough and well illustrated. It is also spiral bound, so it is easy to open and lay flat. The pattern is printed on a nice, heavy weight white paper.
Here are a couple close up pictures. I tried using our regular camera, but I couldn't see any better quality pics than my ipad takes. I really need to get a better camera one of these days.
Somehow I got my coin pocket a little high, so I will watch for that next time.
Fabric used: 9.7 ounce dark indigo stretch denim, 97% cotton & 3% Lycra Item #4828308
Purchased from: Fabric.com
Purchased white cotton blouse
I'm so happy to have been able to go outside for some pictures. Even so, taking pictures is hard with limited sunlight.
I hope to get another pair of jeans made this month to enter! While I'm in the "sewing jeans mode," I want to take advantage of that. I also have to focus on some swimsuit sewing this next week.
Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley