Sunday, February 8, 2015

The Alder Shirtdress

Grainline Alder Shirtdress
Size 4
Alterations:  Shorted length by 2 inches, Sloped Shoulder adjustment



I purchased this pattern in the PDF version and there are a lot of pages to print!  It took me a couple of hours just to tape together and then trace to my own pattern paper.

The instructions are very thorough.  I think this is the first time ever that my collar has turned out so well, thanks to the detailed instructions.

After finishing my dress, I got to looking in the mirror and realized that my armhole seemed a little too big.  :(  I have the book "Fit for Real People" and looked up armhole shaping.  I had one of my girls trace my neck/shoulder area and could easily see that I had a sloping shoulder.  I had to take apart my armhole binding (oh joy!) as well as a shoulder seam so I could sew a deeper seam. I sewed a slanted seam, starting about a half inch deeper at the armhole edge, bringing it back to the original seam line further up.  Honestly, it really didn't take that long to do this and tightened up the armhole about a good inch.  I could have left it alone and it would be okay, but I have decided I want to be more geared towards getting my fit right than just getting my sewing done.  I think I made the right correction.  I don't think I needed any kind of bust adjustment since the pattern seemed to line up at center front where it should.   I welcome any thoughts on the matter!


I really like the lower hem line in the back.


I went to my favorite jewelry boutique in the mall and bought this white flower necklace to wear with it.  Now that I make most of my clothing, I rarely ever buy RTW.  However, I found a new passion and that is to accessorize what I make. 


This fabric is a cotton lawn that I purchased from Denver Fabrics.  They have such a huge selection and the price is very reasonable.  They are my favorite place to buy cotton lawn from.  It is very light weight but not sheer.  I can already tell that this will be a favorite wear during hot summer days.


The only tricky part for me was the corner where the gathered skirt meets the front of the dress.  I had to do that a few times to get it right.  So, you might want to baste this area before you sew if this is something new to you as well.  


 This dress will now go into my closet to wait for warmer days.  It snowed again last night, but it felt so good to focus on summer attire instead of winter.  

Thank you for stopping by ~ Shirley

14 comments:

  1. Lovely alder! Mine have been in constant rotation, love your choice of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yours was the one that inspired me to make mine! Now I am planning 2 more. :)

      Delete
  2. Very pretty! that print is so cute, and the style suits you so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would be perfect for me to wear right now, Shirley. The fit is spot on. Well done for persevering and redoing the armhole. I'd have a hard time unpicking once I'd finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! I thought about that armhole and reluctantly did it, but I'm glad I invested the time since I'm now working on my second one and know a little more what to do. I'm still trying to perfect that armhole though! I wish I could take a class on fitting.

      Delete
  4. Great dress! I have just downloaded this pattern and am looking forward to making it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am working on a second one now; just the straight dress version. I discovered there was actually a sew-along with this dress and it is on the website. A little late for my first one, but I'm glad I saw it because it addresses a couple of things that is good for me to know.

      Delete
  5. Can you believe I have this same fabric but in blue and brown? LOL. It looks great on you so I'm glad I bought some too!
    Your dress looks great! I've seen it made up a few times here and there but didn't look twice. I love your version though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! How cool that we picked almost the same fabric! When I buy from Fashion Fabrics, I just buy 2 yards of whatever I like with the intention of making shirts. I'm glad I was able to get this dress out of it. I think they ended up giving me a little over though.

      Delete
    2. I've gotten in the habit of measuring their stuff, I usually get overage every time of at least 1/4-1/2 yard. One time I got an extra 2 yards!!! That is why I take a chance with their fabrics, cheap and extra! lol

      Delete
    3. I was wondering! Sometimes I thought, "oh, maybe I ordered 2.5." ha ha I need to look back and measure and see what I got now. I love their fabrics. I have a lot from when I ordered last summer. $100 buys you a lot of cotton lawn from them. LOL

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!