Sunday, March 8, 2015

Jeans--Vogue 8774

Vogue 8774
Size 12

Alterations:  Removed 5/8" from CB seam, 1/2" from length before hemming
Fabric:  Kaufman Denim 8 oz Indigo Washed, 100% cotton, purchased from Fabric.com
Top stitching thread:  White & Red Clay color, purchased from Joann's Fabrics

Installed rivets using my Prym

***

This is my 2nd entry in the PatternReview.com jeans contest!

***



This is my first go at this pattern, as well as my first attempt at making a non stretch denim jean.  I have always been apprehensive at the thoughts of making a non stretch jean.  I assumed the fit would be more difficult.  I am happy with the fit I achieved.


After reading the pattern instructions, I followed some and not others. One difference was the zipper; it opens to the left instead of the right like my other jeans.  Since I had already trimmed down one side of  the fly front area, I was afraid to reverse the position of the zipper thinking it might not fit well.  Putting it on the opposite side was like trying to hula hoop to the right instead of the left like I am accustomed too!  It just didn't feel right.  I referred to the zipper instructions in my Grainline shorts pattern, which are fabulous, but it was hard to "flip" it in my brain while installing the zip.  Next time I make these jeans, I will put the zipper in the way I know how.

I also prefer a different method for the waistband assembly.   I pulled out my Angel Bootcut jean pattern instructions for that, which works really well.  I also used the hem allowance suggested in the this pattern too.  Vogue instructs you to make a narrow hem allowance of 5/8 of an inch.  I like a wider hem allowance for my jeans.  I have mistakenly put too narrow of a hem in skirts which makes them flip and not lie flat.

I do like the depth of the pockets and I also like how 2 of the belt loops are sewn at the base of the back yoke before attaching to the pant.  This is the first time I have seen belt loops constructed like this and I really like it!  The other belt loops are attached after the waistband is finished.  I like the pant legs.  Plenty of room but not baggy at all.



I also reshaped the back pockets a little.  The pattern piece seemed a little too wide and too square for my preference.

Before attaching the waistband, I tried them on and discovered that they were still a little big in the CB seam, so I adjusted the back yoke by taking it in 1/2 inch.  They could have been taken in a little more, however, but I wasn't sure how much ease non stretch denim would need at the waist.  Besides, I like to wear a belt with my jeans whether needed or not.



Worn with purchased top.
I purchased 3 yards of the denim for a total cost of $23.04.  
I have enough left over to make a pair of shorts!

This denim is really soft.  I just washed it again in hot water, which I did before cutting out, and they are even softer now and the fit is even better!  It shrunk just enough to take up the tiny looseness I was feeling in the waist.  I think I'll do that with all my jeans now that I make.  Since I hem them really long, I can afford a little shrinkage if that happens.



Thank you for stopping by ~ Shirley

10 comments:

  1. Not one but two entries into the jeans contest?!! You are on a roll Shirley! These look great and those pockets are the best! I have a hard time with flipped fly instructions too :) How many hours did these take you to sew up? Such a fantastic fit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! These didn't take near as long as the other pair, but maybe because I was in that mental mode of sewing up jeans! Plus no pocket flaps to deal with on these. I thought about drafting one and decided to just keep it simple. LOL I started these over a week ago, then with everything that happened this past week I didn't get back to them till this weekend. I almost thought I wouldn't get them done. This contest helped give me the motivation to make some jeans that I've been wanting to try for a while now.

      Delete
  2. They fit so well, Shirley and look great. You'll never ever have to buy another pair of jeans again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! I now have 3 wearable pairs of jeans that I have made! It is a good feeling to make almost everything I wear!

      Delete
  3. It looks like you got a really great fit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! I love the design on the back pocket too. You're totally winning at jeans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn! I think I'm done buying jeans from now on. I am really enjoying making them instead!

      Delete
  5. I love the fit of these jeans on you. The back pocket design is really nice also. It's a fun place to create your own design :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann! Pockets are fun to do. It is a safe way to make something your own without having to risk altering the pattern. LOL

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!