Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Etta Plaid Dress

Ottobre 2/2012
Etta Plaid Dress (#2)
Size 38
Alterations:  Removed 4 inches from the length



 This dress has a total of 5 pattern pieces, making it very quick to sew!

The trickiest part of the dress is probably the horizontal seams front and back.  



The front of the dress has a button placket and bust darts--2 at the side, 2 at the bottom.  After you overlap and baste the bottom edges of the placket, you then gather the lower edge of the dress till it matches the length of the upper area.  This seam tapers to nothing at the outer edges.  It is really unique how this pattern piece is cut.  The back has a seam down the middle prior to gathering at its horizontal seam.



Instead of sleeves, you have a shoulder "wing."




This dress utilizes the same pattern pieces as the Cordelia cotton dress, which I made before here.

I am amazed at how different this dress looks with changing the sleeve out to a shoulder wing and, of course, different fabric.   I can already tell this will be worn a lot this summer!

Fabric purchased from Fashion Fabrics for $3.90 a yard.  This fabric is actually 2 sided.  The other side is a soft looking plaid with blues, reds, and creams--very pretty.  I have been wanting a simple red check dress, so this looked good to me.  The fabric is labeled as Ecru/pink plaid gauze, but I would call it more fushia color.  It was challenging finding buttons to match.  They cost me more than a yard of this fabric!

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

8 comments:

  1. Love the style of this dress, especially the shoulder 'wings'. You could wear this one with leggings in a few months when it starts to cool down. I'm with you, Shirley - looks like checks to me, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I really do like the "wings." I think it is a nice alternative to sleeves but not so revealing and not confining either since it is just over the top and not underneath the arm restricting movement. Good idea about the leggings!

      Delete
  2. Love this one, Shirley! It has a Japanese feel to it. Those shoulder wings are great. I'm thinking about subscribing to ottobre, but mainly for the kids patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liza Jane! I'm trying to try out new styles for myself and I really like this one. I didn't even think about how it resembles some of the Japanese dresses I have seen. I would love to get my hands on one of the books people are raving about. You should definitely subscribe to Ottobre! I wish I had known about them when my kids were little because there are such cute clothes to choose from. There are only 2 women's issues a year, so you might as well get them too! I subscribe directly from the Ottobre website.

      Delete
  3. I have made this dress (but not blogged about it). I think yours is the only other one I have seen on the internet. It is a lovely cool summer dress and I wear mine a lot in the hot weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue! I was really surprised at how comfortable this dress is. For me it is a great alternative to wearing just shorts around the house.

      Delete
  4. This looks like a great summer dress. I loved it in the magazine but when I browsed the directions I was confused by all the middle area. You did a great job with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, the middle area is confusing! The first time I made it, it took me a while to figure it out. The important thing to do is to taper to nothing about an inch after the part of the fabric that has been cut. It is a strange pattern piece....a real head scratcher! It actually goes together simply once you get beyond that hurdle. LOL

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!