Friday, April 3, 2015

The Perfect Pair

The Alma blouse paired with the Moss skirt


Sewaholic Alma Blouse
 Size 6
View A
No alterations



 I really like this top.  I tried to make it last summer and had issues getting the invisible zipper in the side seam. I tossed it and moved on to a different project.  I'm so glad I came back to it.  Proof that one should not give up on a challenge.  I just needed time to gain more invisible zip experience.


I forgot to make a sloping shoulder adjustment, but I think it is still okay because of the sleeve type making it not so obvious.  I'm still trying to get a handle on what body-type adjustments to make.

I found the depth of the armhole just perfect, the darts were all in a good place for me, and the length of the blouse is great!


Since my fabric is thin and lightweight, I was able to use my narrow edge foot for the hemming.  I still haven't found a way to go over side seams smoothly with it.  I even tried trimming down the seam, but I always get hung up there.  The only thing I have found that works for me is to stop and manually fold the fabric, stitch over the seam, and then resume stitching with the narrow edge foot.


 Grainline Moss Skirt
 Size 6 at the waist, graded to a 4 at the hips
View A

Alterations:  Lengthened by 2" and dart alteration to back yoke by .5 inches




The moss skirt is a great wardrobe staple!  It sits at the waist comfortably and has nice sized pockets.  It is a basic skirt but a great starting point if you want to get creative with modifications.

To eliminate the waist gap that usually occurs when making my bottoms, I decided to take a 1/2 inch dart out in the pattern tissue on the back yoke only.  I just pinned it out and then cut my fabric.  It fits perfectly without any gaping on my first try!  This was much easier than trying to adjust the CB seam as I have done in the past.  It occurred to me that by adjusting the "seam," I may be altering the curvature of the pattern more than should be.



 I used a triple stitch for my back yoke top stitching and quickly discovered that it was going to be difficult to control my line of stitch.  I did do it on scrap fabric first but didn't realize how hard it was going to be keeping it lined up with the seam.  Yikes!  So, I finished that area and didn't do it anywhere else.  It won't be seen anyway since I never tuck my blouses in.  I had intended this to be my muslin, but I love it and it is completely wearable.

I used a dark blue thread for hemming so it would blend in with the denim.



I can see making up many sets of this outfit--a perfect pair to me!



My denim is mid to heavy weight, so it won't be worn much during the heat of the summer, but nice right now since we are still having cool temperatures.  I'm glad I only ordered a yard of it since it is kind of shiny.  I don't think I would have liked it in a jean.

My blouse fabric was purchased from Fashion Fabrics Club last summer.  I don't remember what it is technically called.  It is some kind of cotton blend.  I wish I could recognize fabric types better.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley






7 comments:

  1. From the title perfect pair I thought you were talking about "the girls!" Hahaha! The shirt is sooooo cute! I really like it in that fabric! I have a denim skirt that needs to get worn more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I didn't even think about that pair! :) One of my girls is already calling dibs on the fabric leftovers from the blouse. I think it is hilarious that we have the same taste in fabrics and clothes.

      Delete
  2. Such a pretty blouse, Shirley, both the fabric and the style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam. I've realized that I am in need of blouses, so I am making an effort to make some for myself!

      Delete
  3. Great outfit Shirley! I love the Alma on you :) I struggled so much with that pattern. Your fabric is so pretty and it looks great with your new skirt.
    I had to put my invisible zipper in upside down because it bugged me to have that dangly tab in my armpit all day, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I would not have thought about putting the zipper the other way--great idea! I'm just happy I figured out how to put the zipper in. LOL

      Delete
    2. lol the zipper is so tricky because you are putting in an invisible one, on a waist curve, on thinner, drapier fabric. :D those combined make for a lot of hair pulling! Glad you got it in though

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!