Size 12, view C, added short sleeves
Alterations: Used the blouse length instead of the dress length prior to adding the flounces.
I also made a band for the neckline.
(I was looking over at my daughter while my son took this picture)
I could tell by the picture on the pattern envelope that the neckline was going to be too high for my liking. I took the bodice pattern piece of my Lady Skater dress and used that as a guide to scoop out the neckline, which made it much better! I don't like high necklines on shirts or dresses. It feels too constricting. The pattern instructions suggest turning the neckline in and then stitching. I prefer a neckband instead of this method.
What drew me to this pattern were the flounces. The instructions say to run a basting stitch along the bottom as a guide to turn up the narrow hem. This really works well and I did this as I sewed it without pinning. Then I removed the basting threads.
I also used my Lady Skater back bodice pattern piece to lower the back neckline. It wasn't quite as drastic of a change as the front side, but I wanted to be consistent with my changes.
Another detail I love about this dress is the use of elastic in the sleeve (ruching), as well as the side seam allowances. The pattern calls for 1/4 inch elastic to do this, which worked well for the sleeves, however, I found that 1/2 inch elastic worked better on the sides for me. My fabric is pretty stretchy and a firmer elastic seemed necessary. With there being a 5/8" seam allowance, there is plenty of room for a wider elastic.
Instead of trying to shorten the pattern, I just cut it at the blouse hemline and then added the flounces. With there being elastic at the side seam allowances, I wasn't sure how shortening at the shorten/lengthen line would effect that area. There is about a 3 inch difference between the blouse hemline and the dress option.
I'm not overly thrilled with my fabric choice. It just looks too dark a print for summer. I will probably wear it more in the fall. I wish I had purchased a more springy-type fabric. On the bright side, it was a very inexpensive dress to make.
Fabric: Black Floral Jersey Knit from Fashion Fabrics Club for $3.95 yd
Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley