Thursday, May 7, 2015

McCalls 7046

McCalls 7046
Size 12, view C, added short sleeves
Alterations:  Used the blouse length instead of the dress length prior to adding the flounces.
I also made a band for the neckline.

(I was looking over at my daughter while my son took this picture)

I could tell by the picture on the pattern envelope that the neckline was going to be too high for my liking.  I took the bodice pattern piece of my Lady Skater dress and used that as a guide to scoop out the neckline, which made it much better!  I don't like high necklines on shirts or dresses.  It feels too constricting.  The pattern instructions suggest turning the neckline in and then stitching.  I prefer a neckband instead of this method.


What drew me to this pattern were the flounces.  The instructions say to run a basting stitch along the bottom as a guide to turn up the narrow hem.  This really works well and I did this as I sewed it without pinning.  Then I removed the basting threads.


I also used my Lady Skater back bodice pattern piece to lower the back neckline.  It wasn't quite as drastic of a change as the front side, but I wanted to be consistent with my changes.



Another detail I love about this dress is the use of elastic in the sleeve (ruching), as well as the side seam allowances.  The pattern calls for 1/4 inch elastic to do this, which worked well for the sleeves, however, I found that 1/2 inch elastic worked better on the sides for me.  My fabric is pretty stretchy and a firmer elastic seemed necessary.  With there being a 5/8" seam allowance, there is plenty of room for a wider elastic.



 Instead of trying to shorten the pattern, I just cut it at the blouse hemline and then added the flounces.  With there being elastic at the side seam allowances, I wasn't sure how shortening at the shorten/lengthen line would effect that area. There is about a 3 inch difference between the blouse hemline and the dress option.



I'm not overly thrilled with my fabric choice.  It just looks too dark a print for summer.  I will probably wear it more in the fall.  I wish I had purchased a more springy-type fabric.  On the bright side, it was a very inexpensive dress to make.

Fabric:  Black Floral Jersey Knit from Fashion Fabrics Club for $3.95 yd



Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

8 comments:

  1. Cute dress Shirley! I had been eyeing up that same fabric - imagine that! lol. I love the flounces and sleeve scrunches on this - great details.
    When I first saw the picture I was like "who is that lady?" LOL. Your hair is darker, nice and long, and you look so young!!! - not saying that you looked old, ever, but you look very healthy and happy right now :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I colored my hair dark brown this time! LOL I'm on a mission to find the right color. I kind of like it. I like it lighter too though....decisions, decisions. It isn't permanent, so it will wash out eventually. I'm so excited to have my hair so long! It has grown so fast. It was only 2 years ago that my hair started growing after chemo. It wasn't even 1/4 inch on my head. Thank you for the compliment...you have made my day!

      Delete
    2. Look here in September 2013....http://sewingbyshirley.blogspot.de/2013/09/vogue-1247-skirt.html Still very little hair!

      Delete
  2. I almost didn't recognize you either! I like the dark hair, being a dark haired girl myself :) and yes, your hair did grow really fast! Love the flounces on this dress. And I like the print. You can't go wrong with red, white and blue together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! You all are making me feel like quite the mystery woman! I love it! Thank you for the compliment on the dress. I was thinking I had made a mistake with the fabric, but maybe not. :)

      Delete
  3. Looks cute Shirley! I like the sleeve ruching too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! Are you back now? It must have been you bringing the nice weather here. LOL

      Delete
  4. Looking good, Shirley and a great job combining the patterns. There's just the right amount of flounce in the skirt. And I love your fabric choice - maybe that's because it's almost Winter here.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!