Tuesday, June 16, 2015

DIY 4th of July Outfit

I'm squeezing in one last blog post before the packers come!  I have wanted to share this project for a while now.  I made this outfit for my girls back in '09 and have wanted to make it again, but I waited too long and they no longer desire to have one.  With the 4th coming up, I didn't want another year to escape me without a post.  I just love this outfit and it is very easy to make without a pattern and it is definitely a beginner-level sewing project!


Supplies:  Purchased plain t-shirt (red, white or blue)
Flag fabric.  I purchased this at Walmart very cheaply
Cotton solid for ruffle bottom if desired


Put your t-shirt on your child and mark with chalk where you would like the skirt to start.  Add 1/2 inch seam allowance and cut there.

Determine the length of the skirt you want. This was minimal.  A yard of fabric is going to be more than plenty if making for a small child.  Let's say it is 10" in length.  Cut it from selvage to selvage TWICE.  Sew up the side seams and run some gathering stitches around the top till it fits the bottom of your shirt.

When making a ruffle, if you don't want to have to hem the bottom, cut it double the width.  I cut my ruffle selvage to selvage THREE times, so it would be bigger than the skirt bottom and be gathered.  Sew side seams, fold wrong sides to wrong sides, give it a good press with the iron, and sew gathering stitches around the top till it fits the bottom of your skirt.



I am by no means a skilled bow maker, but I did make them when my girls were little.  Most ended up in the floorboard of our vehicle.  Their hair would look so pretty and by the time we made it to school, they would have removed them!  There are plenty of tutorials online to make hair bows.


You can also make a bandana.  This was from a girl's New Look pattern, but you can just as easily cut 2 triangles of fabric and then attach some packaged red bias binding.

For the shirt applique, I ironed some fusible web to the back of one of the flags on a fabric scrap.  Next, I ironed it on the t-shirt, put some stabilizer on the back side, and then appliqued it with a narrow zig zag stitch.  This is really easy to do if you haven't done it before.  It definitely makes the outfit.  If you do put an applique on the shirt, it is easiest to do this before attaching the skirt.  Do put the shirt on your child first to determine where you want the applique to be so you get the placement right.

Make sure you prewash your fabrics first.  I had a hard time with my red cotton solid color fading.  You don't want it fading on your t-shirt every time you wash it!  

I'm in serious sewing withdrawal mode right now.  You wouldn't think so with as busy as we have been preparing for our move.  I'd much rather be sewing though.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

8 comments:

  1. OMG! Look how little and cute the girls are :D How fast time flies.
    These are gorgeous 4th of July outfits!!! So sad when they no longer want to get dressed up like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I miss the kind of sewing I use to do when they were little. All those little dresses with matching bloomers and hats! I even use to make matching little purses and glue big silk flowers on them. Oh how I miss that!!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Janene! I have so much fun working on theme items for my kids. Now that they are older, they don't want it as much though.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!