Thursday, June 4, 2015

Jalie 2563

Jalie 2563
Sport Top
Size S
Alterations:  Cut down the top to be a little lower.


I wasn't going to do another blog post till we moved, but I made a couple bras before packing up my sewing machines.  It occurred to me that I would like/need to have some extra bras for the period we'll be living out of a suitcase!  And since I made up the Romper from Simplicity 2222, I definitely needed a racer back bra so my bra straps wouldn't be visible.  Thank you Jalie for another awesome pattern!


I used some stretch lace I bought from Sew Sassy, as well as piping elastic, plush elastic, and bra strapping.  The pattern calls for FOE, but since I wanted this for general wear and not sport, I wanted to keep it looking like a regular bra.


I kept the lower lace edge intact by sewing my plush elastic above the scalloped edge on the wrong side of the fabric.  The bra front was cut 1/2 inch longer than the back so I could enclose the elastic there.  I cut my plush elastic in 2 pieces, both 12.5 inches, and then sewed my side seams.




I also kept the lace edge intact at the top back edge.  Mesh was used for the front bra piece.



I made a muslin out of white first, using milliskin fabric.  I found the length of the pattern too long for my needs, so you can see here that I took about an inch off.  I also added a slider to the top edge, as well as the back edge and one to control the amount of bra strapping I needed.  I cut my bra strapping at 18 inches, but I can go about 15 on the next one.  I had to use all sliders since I didn't buy any black rings.  How did I manage to do that!  I need to pay more attention when I buy my bra supplies.

I have worn both of these and they are very comfortable.  I especially like the black one; it is very pretty on.  These were very quick to sew up, taking only about an hour and a half to make.

And how cute is this?  Love that Jalie has small sizes.  This is a size L for one of my girls.  Have you seen the bras out there for young girls....yawn.  I'll be making these up for my girls in bra-type fabrics too, but I couldn't resist trying this out in some cotton lycra.  This version I made exactly according to pattern instructions with the FOE.  We'll have to see how well this is liked by her.  One thing I did to make sewing the FOE easier, I basted it first with only the FOE opened and on the bottom side of the fabric, slightly creating tension on the FOE only.  Then it was so much easier to sew on with a zig zag stitch afterwards.  No pinning necessary and super fast this way.  




I'm already missing sewing, but I know we are about to get very busy, so time will be filled doing other things.  

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

10 comments:

  1. Is there anything you can't make? I think not!!! Great job.It'll be time to pack the dress form away soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! My days of buying bras are done now! It is so much cheaper to make them. I like that they are a quick and fast project too. Something to do, but definitely not hours out of a day.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that is all I can say. TFS, Annette And Good Luck with your move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annette! We are getting excited about the move, but I'm not looking forward to not sewing! ha ha I keep seeing all these great makes everyone else is doing and it's hard.

      Delete
  3. You've got me sold on finally trying out Jalie Shirley! That bra would be perfect for my daughter. And I like yours too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Justine! You will have to let me know what you think of Jalie. I love how the pattern is printed on sturdy white paper. It makes it really easy to trace. One of my girls loves the idea of me making her bras, the other one says, "I only want store bought." ha ha One out of two isn't bad though.

      Delete
  4. Can you believe I don't have this Jalie pattern? lol. It has been on my wish list though. Gosh these are fantastic. I love the one for your DD. K and I both think the girly bras are boring too and if it fits her around then the straps are too long. sigh. Guess I'll be buying more Jalies! (I did just purchase their shapewear PDF pattern and a yoga pant one without the back shaping) hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Young girls bras are so blah. We have even seen them with frogs on them. Really? Why would they put frogs on a bra? ha ha Yep, a lot the straps are adjustable. I have to tighten most straps all the way for me, so it will probably be the same for my girls. I'm so happy I can make my own, but to be able to make them for one of my girls (the other one wants RTW), at least I can save some money!

      Delete
  5. Oh wow! I'm not usually in to bra sewing but these are great. I like the racer back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liza Jane! You know, I don't know if I would have ever tried sewing bras if it weren't for the fact that I can no longer wear underwires. There just isn't a huge variety in soft cup bras that appeals to me, so that is what drew me to bra sewing! I really like the racer back bra and it is quick and easy to sew!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!