Tuesday, September 29, 2015

A dress for my little Whovian

Simplicity 5580
 Dr. Who Tardis Dress

View B
Alterations:  Drafted new pattern to fit my size 10 daughter



I have had this pattern such a long time.  So long that my girls no longer fit any of the sizes (3-8).  


However, my daughter has been asking for a Dr. Who dress ever since I made her a Minecraft Creeper dress.  It took me a while to find some cotton fabric that was Tardis themed.  I ordered it twice and each time I got a followup email that it had sold out--so frustrating when that happens! The next time it appeared, I didn't hesitate to grab it.  



Once I realized the pattern only went up to a size 8, I tried to persuade her to look at other patterns I had.  Nope!  She had to have View B because of the collar.


She typically wears a size 10 in dresses, so I thought grading up one size wouldn't be too difficult even though I had never done it before--How hard could that be?

I used the existing pattern as a guide and measured between the pattern size lines.  I could not get the armhole drawn properly!  I  had her lift her arms and move them around and it would just pull tightly.  After 2 muslin attempts, I decided to look at one of her RTW dresses and use its armhole as a guide.  After doing that, I had to toss the pattern piece I was using and redraw the rest of the bodice.  This also changed the sleeve, facings, and collar pattern pieces significantly.

See the difference:

  I also added 1.5 inches to the length of the bodice.


I found some ribbon that was marked down to .25 a yard and the buttons were in a package for .99!
The collar is made from navy classic quilting cotton I bought at Joanns.

The only thing that could be better is if I had placed the buttonholes a little closer to the outer edge of the dress.  I was so wrapped up in trying to make sure that my ribbon matched up perfectly that I didn't notice I had started my buttonhole placement too far over.  But looking at it now, the buttons get lost in the print anyway.  No matter what I sew, it always seems there is one thing that could have been done better!



If you are making this pattern without any alterations, it sews up fast and easy!  I think this pattern must be out of print, but you can still find it on other websites.

Fabric:  Exploding Tardis 


Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

5 comments:

  1. You did a great job altering that bodice! Smart move to look at an existing armhole. I always seem to forget that RTW items came from a pattern at one point too. The collar is so cute on this dress. The busy print makes the buttons not noticeable. I think the dress is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I was wondering if I had bit off more than I could chew with that bodice pattern. I am so glad I thought of tracing the other dress armhole--I was near my wits end! ha ha

      Delete
  2. You've done an awesome job of altering the dress, Shirley. I know I would have given up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! I think it is one of those things that if I had to do it again, I probably wouldn't. I would be lost. It is totally something I had to be in the mood to attempt. It makes me in awe of those who draft patterns for themselves or pattern companies.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!