Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Simplicity 1716

I'm back!!  It has been a busy couple of months for me.  During my absence from blogging, my family moved back to the U.S. from Germany.  We started out in a hotel for 10 days, then relocated to a camper for 2.5 weeks, while waiting to close on a house.  It has been an adventure--a family of 5 in a 24' camper, all the while starting new schools and my husband starting a new job.  If nothing, we are a flexible family!   I'm enjoying fabric stores--it's so nice to be able to feel fabric instead of just shopping online.



Last week I purchased this pattern:


View A
Size 10 bodice graded out to a 12 at the waist
Shortened the dress hem by 5 inches
Shortened the sleeves by 1.25 inches
1/2 inch swayback adjustment




I made the mini dress!  I'm 5'1 and the length of this dress hit way below the knee before I trimmed it--not so mini on me.  I know I'm not tall, but compared to other patterns, I think this runs a little longer on me than most.  Thank goodness I didn't add length to it like I had originally planned to do! 




It is a little fiddly making the twist area, but not hard.  I think it would definitely be easier to do with a solid color fabric.  At one point when I was finishing up with the twist area, I seriously thought it was not going to come together.  It just looked like a lump of fabric on my table and I thought, "oh geez, what now?"  The pattern instructions are good though and if you follow them, it will come together nicely.


For the swayback adjustment, I referred to Nancy Zieman's "Pattern Fitting with Confidence" book and the way she explains how to do a swayback is so easy.  I thought it would be a complicated and involved process, but it wasn't.  In fact, it only took a minute or two to make the pattern adjustment.




Normally I do a forward, sloping shoulder adjustment.  After looking at the bodice pieces and the way they are cut, I decided not too.  I just wasn't quite sure how to do it.  And besides, it is a knit and I figured everything would just fall into place on its own. LOL

Also I want to note that the sleeves are pretty roomy.  Sometimes pattern sleeves can be a little tight on me, but no worries, this pattern has plenty of ease there if you find sleeves run tight.


Fabric purchased at Joann's.


Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

12 comments:

  1. I love Nancy's pivot and slide technique. At first I wasn't sure it would be "correct" to do it that way so I did a "normal" darted swayback adjustment on a pattern and used Nancy's on the same pattern (separate tracing) and they came out the same!! I was shocked because Nancy's is so much faster and easier. It is very much my preferred way to do it now.

    I like everything about this dress; the length is great, the boots look awesome with it, and that twist is just so cool. Now that I see the pattern envelope front I know I need to get it because I love that long sleeve cowl top and cowl tank dress!

    Welcome back to the states :D It's so nice to have you in the same time zone!! And congrats again on the house. Now you can sew up tons :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I think it might have been from your blog that I read about this book! I love how simplified she makes everything and the pictures in the book are so nice. I'm glad I made this twist version, but I really want to make the cowl tank dress. I like how this pattern has that option, making 2 very different looking dresses/tops. I imagine that version will sew up so much faster not having to deal with the extra pieces for the twist. It wasn't hard, but enough work to keep me from doing it again. lol I'm going to miss buying boots in Germany. I have another pair of black boots that I love, but I have never worn. They come up to the knee, but there is a tan-ish decorative stitching on them that kind of throws them off of being able to match anything. :( I guess maybe I need to carry them to the fabric store and maybe match them to a fabric.

      Delete
  2. Looking good, Shirley and welcome back. Glad you didn't have to stay in cramped conditions for too long. When you are not sewing, I can imagine you now out and about looking at real fabric you can touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! It feels good to be finally settled now. We lived out of a suitcase for 2 months! I only packed about a week's worth of clothes, so it was really nice to have something else to wear when our belongings made it. I'm really enjoying going to fabric and craft stores--it has been 4 years!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Pam for featuring me on your blog! It feels so good to be sewing again and thank you for helping me get out there on the blogosphere scene again. :)

      Delete
  3. I totally agree! I appreciate fabrics a lot more when I shop for it personally rather than online. It makes me “feel” if the fabric is right for me. Thanks for sharing this and appreciate your post as much as Kayla Green’s website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristine! Thanks for taking a look at my blog--I really appreciate you taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  4. Cute! I love the twist front. It's something different. And, oh my gosh, living in a camper for two weeks!!! You are a better woman than I. I don't think I could do it! Glad you are moved in and settled now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liza Jane! It was tough to live out of a suitcase for 2 months! And I can honestly say that I don't want to go camping for a very, very, very long time! ha ha

      Delete
  5. Welcome back, Shirley! You look cute in your dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Justine! It feels good to be back! We do miss Europe though. No matter how much time we spend there, it is never enough!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!