Monday, November 2, 2015

A Jalie Running Outfit for Me

Jalie 2682
Size T
Alteration:  1/2" Swayback Adjustment


Jalie 3462 (Cora)
Size T
No Alteration


Now that time changed yesterday, it was harder taking pictures due to the sun's position in our backyard!  Oh well.  I tell myself it's a sewing blog, not a photography blog.  It's what we got when we took pictures. 



The 1/2" swayback adjustment was perfect!  Thanks Kristin at Sunny Sewing for helping me out with that.  It's a much better fit than the last time I made this shirt.  No more pooling fabric at the middle back.  Now I have the sizing figured out!  Size T works great for me on really stretchy fabrics--the zipper will go up without tugging and definitely no pulling across the back shoulder area.  With jersey knit, I'm going to go up to a size U to give myself extra room.  Thank goodness I am keeping a blog so I can have these notes to refer back to.  It would get confusing trying to remember size based on fabric selection....my head is already spinning thinking about the possibilities with every pattern.  I never considered having to keep different sizes on hand because of that.


I used a combination of nylon spandex and dri-fit for my outfit.  I should have gone up just one more size for the leggings.  Actually, I did because I made them one size larger than my Jalie yoga pants.  But now that I think about it, they are on the snug side too.  I have to make clothing in the size I am and not the size I want to be or was....sigh.  Anyway, they are snug pulling them on and I have popped and repaired a couple of stitches already.  Darn!  Who knows, maybe if I keep running now, they will fit better soon.  Ha ha


I'm looking at these as my wearable muslin.  I sewed them up really fast because I wasn't sure how I would like them.  I love them on my daughter, but I just wasn't sure how they would look on me.  I do like them.   My fabric combination is just "okay" to me.  It was born out of my daughter not wanting mine to look just like hers--oh the horror!  ha ha  So when I put the gray next to this multi purple/white/blue fabric, it didn't look that great.  That is when I decided to use the rest of my gray and blue to make a matching shirt to tie in the colors. I'll have to keep any eye out for some other fabrics to make this. To me that is the real challenge....looking for coordinating fabrics!


I bought 1 yard of the multi fabric on clearance for $6, which made both mine and my daughters leggings.  I had one yard of the gray dri-fit, which was $11,  It was just enough to make this.  The blue nylon lycra was leftover from my daughter's bathing suit a while back.  So, this was really inexpensive to make.  A heck of a lot cheaper to make than to buy!  The next one should fit perfectly.



Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

11 comments:

  1. Great work - looks very RTW and if you pop a few stitches... well, you have a sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue! I think I'm going to be busy making some more of these. This outfit is really nice to make my girls for athletics in school and very cheaply too! Hopefully I'll get the size figured out for me so I won't have to repair my seams. lol

      Delete
  2. Shirley this outfit is fantastic!! I love it all! Your welcome on the swayback adjustment :) This top looks great from the back with the adjustment. It fits you so much better than that RTW crap and was cheaper!! Win win! Have fun running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I cannot believe what a difference the 1/2" swayback made! Now that my pattern is altered, I am good to go! I just cut out a yoga pant and this Jalie top to match for one of my girls. I'm on a Jalie binge ha ha. I need to cut out another Cora for my other daughter so I can sew it up while doing knits since everything is in a similar color scheme.

      Delete
    2. I try to do that too :) When a certain color of thread is in my serger I'll take advantage of it. Or when I sew wovens (which is rare now) I'll sew up a bunch all at once so I don't have to keep switching needles, lol.

      Delete
  3. You'll look fabulous as you get fit, Shirley. I really like the style of the leggings in particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I'm really excited. Running is hard, but having something to run in makes me want to do it. Silly huh! lol

      Delete
  4. Great looking outfit! I'm sure it will add a little fun to your running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! It does help to inspire me to run! When it stops, then I will know I need to make another outfit in new fabric. lol

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!