Friday, November 13, 2015

Jalie Cocoon Cardigan with Dolman Top

Jalie 3353 & 3352
Size P


I made this top and cardigan from fabric remnants in my stash!  I'm trying to utilize what I have as much as possible for staple items for our wardrobe.  I should have made this in a size "O."  It's a little big in the neck for the Dolman and the cardigan just looks oversized for her, but that's okay.  A camisole underneath the Dolman to the rescue, and cardigans can be too big and still worn.





This cardigan is really simple and quick to sew together.  The band takes the majority of the time to pin all the way around.    I like how it finishes every edge of the cardigan from neck, sides, and bottom...one continuous loop.  The sleeve has cuffs sewn in the same manner.  I basted it before using my serger to ensure that I caught all 3 layers of fabric.  No hemming!!



I used a soft sweater knit.  It is very light weight too.  I was going to make this cardigan for myself, but I just didn't have quite enough  fabric.  I put it away a couple of weeks ago until yesterday when I had a light bulb moment and realized that it would probably be enough for my daughter.  It was still a tight squeeze, but it was enough!



My daughter was out in the yard doing cartwheels, so it passed the flexible/comfortable test.



It's a great top to wear with jeans.  My last post featured my Dolman top.  I see many of these tops in our future!

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley


10 comments:

  1. Yay for no hemming! :) I'd rather have things be made too big than too small ;-) Does she like her Dolman? It was a bit big on K too. I'm loving all your tops; I need to get sewing some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! Yes, she does like it! I told my girls when I get my ITYs in the mail, they can pick one so they can have a Dolman top made up. I get first pick though because I want to match my brown stretch twill for my Elenore pants first. LOL

      Delete
  2. Loving both those pieces. Thinking I may have tot get the dolman tee soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! I'm on a mission to have every Jalie pattern, at least the everyday wear ones. You'll love the Dolman. It takes so little fabric and is such a quick project to sew. It makes me feel so productive!

      Delete
  3. Love both the top and the cardigan, Shirley. If your daughter rolls or pushes the sleeves up, it won't look too big at all. Gorgeous fabric for the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I made myself a skirt out of the same fabric I used for her Dolman. I just have to be careful to not wear it when she wears her top. Once I showed up at school wearing a dress made of the same shirt she was wearing. She immediately buttoned up her sweater. LOL

      Delete
  4. Cute! I would wear both pieces in a heartbeat. I really like that cardigan pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liza Jane! I love how Jalie patterns work for me and my girls! Non of the patterns are too young or too old for any of us. Such a great investment!

      Delete
  5. Very cute, Shirley! Your daughter has grown so much! Love the sweater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Justine! I cannot believe how much our kids have grown. They were so tiny when we first moved to Germany. Now our son is taller than me and my daughter in this post is gaining on me quickly! They are at that age where height is a competition. ha ha

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!