Saturday, November 21, 2015

Ottobre 5/2103-4, Friday Evening Dress

Ottobre 5/2103-4, Friday Evening Dress
Size 38
Alterations:  1/2" Swayback adjustment
Removed 5 inches from the length
Fabric:  Ponte de Roma Knit, black cotton spandex knit for neckband


I bought this fabric last winter or maybe even the year before that!  I liked it when I saw it but then struggled with what to make of it.  I knew it had to be a simple pattern due to the busy design of the fabric.  I didn't want a seamed back which would mess with the flow of the print.


This was the perfect pattern choice since both the front and back are cut on the fold.  The raglan sleeve does have a dart at the top, but it worked well and didn't disrupt the fabric design.  I took my time laying out the fabric to ensure the design matched up perfectly on the sides and with the sleeves.  A ponte knit is pretty stable and doesn't stretch out of shape much at all.  I was able to see the black lines from the wrong side of the fabric, making it simple to keep the fabric perfectly lined up when folded over.  



It's chilly out, but lack of shoes left me with slip on sandals.  My beloved black zip up boots didn't really match.  I struggle with shoes.  I love boots and sandals and have nothing in between.  That's why if you look back through my blog, I tend to make black or brown clothing for winter so all can be worn with either my black or brown boots. LOL


Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

8 comments:

  1. Lovely frock! I do like that pattern with the shoulder darts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I like that fabric! Looks like a great dress pattern, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liza Jane! I wasn't sure how much I liked the fabric, but making it into this dress makes me love it!

      Delete
  3. I tend to stick to sandals and boots, too, with no in betweens. Love the geometric design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I think I need to stop making dresses in the winter and just make them for summer. I just don't have the shoes for dresses in winter and would rather wear boots!

      Delete
  4. Oh I love this dress! You used 2 of my favorite colors :D It always amazes me how much you have to shorten patterns.
    Oh and I am beginning to love ponte too. It is such a nice and stable knit.
    I have 2 kinds of shoes too: sneakers and flip flops LOL Therefore I can't wear dresses in winter either. That's ok though, it's usually too cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but I get to save on fabric!! ha ha I always think I may cut it close until I realize that I have to cut off 4 inches and then I have leftover fabric. I wore this dress the other day with black leggings and it was wonderful cause I wore my black flats. I'm done with dresses this winter. I don't know why I buy so many dress patterns because I mostly wear pants or skirts.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!