Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Animal Print Dress

Simplicity 1018
Size 12
Alterations:  Forward sloping shoulder
1/2" swayback adjustment
Removed 4 inches from length of skirt
Fabric:  ITY knit from Fashion Fabrics


I was so excited about this dress because all my adjustments worked perfectly.  It felt good on and I liked what I saw in the mirror.  Pictures tell a different story.  I'm not as pleased.  I love the dress, but I think that maybe animal print isn't for me.  I should have taken note of the pattern envelope...all solids for the dresses!  Sigh.




Maybe it's my shoe selection or lack there of.


A belt would help or maybe a solid color sweater to break up this print.


The fit is good though.  Overall, a very simple dress to sew.  I love the princess seams, which you can't see because of my print.  This is a fast dress to make and sewn mostly with my serger.

I did use the same fabric for my neckband.  It seemed a little floppy to me so I folded it forward, covering the neckline seam, and top stitched it down.  It looks better.

I will definitely make this again in a different fabric; I'm sure I will like it a lot better.  I am going to take a break from making dresses and save that for summer-type clothing when I can wear sandals and not have to think so much about matching shoes.

I thought about just photographing this barefooted, but it's too cold outside and I get too many shadows inside my house.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

4 comments:

  1. Woohoo!!! Looking good, Shirley. I love the print fabric on you and wouldn't break it up with a belt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! Such a confidence booster first thing this morning as I sit here in my pajamas reading your comment!

      Delete
  2. We are always so much more critical of ourselves :) I think the pictures look fantastic and the dress looks awesome on you. I think a black sweater would break up the print a bit. I'm so glad all your adjustments worked out; it is such a great feeling to finally get a great fit :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I have an open knit black sweater with gold buttons on it that I need to try. I couldn't wait to finish it and now it hangs in my closet and I can't muster up the enthusiasm to try it on with the sweater. :( Yesterday I pulled out an outfit I made over a year ago, and now that I have a pair of ankle length gray leggings that match, I wore it and it is so cute! ha ha So, it might take a little time, but it will get worn and loved even if it takes a little while.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!