Sunday, December 13, 2015

Christmas Dress

Bustle Style Lolita Dress


Last Thursday my daughter asked me if I would make her a Christmas dress that she could wear to school.  I told her I could look through my patterns to see what I had.  She said, "I know what I want!  I found a DIY dress on Youtube that you can make!"

Here is the link if you are interested.  What a talented young woman who created this!


The video is sped up, but my son showed me a way to change the speed.  Did you know you can do that?  I didn't.  I took my daughter's bust measurement to determine the width of the top bodice piece.  However, I kept the same measurement for the inner top circle of the skirt piece as indicated in the video.  I cut the length of the skirt piece to 20", which worked well for my 12-year-old.


The bustle piece is separate and attached to the top of the skirt.  No buttons, no zipper, no elastic.  This is very easy to make, especially if you are new to sewing.

I purchased the Christmas fabric at Hancock's which was on sale!

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

4 comments:

  1. Such a pretty dress, Shirley. No one but you will realise it was easy to sew. The girls have such confidence in you, they probably think you can sew anything - like I think you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I had so much fun making this dress. Something about working with Christmas fabric, and easy-sewing cotton fabric, made it such a joy!

      Delete
  2. It's darling! I love the Santa fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!