Friday, January 1, 2016

A Personalized Zipper Bag


Happy New Year everyone!!

This year I got a fun toy for Christmas--a new Silhouette Cameo!  I love this thing.  I have been having fun figuring out what I can vinyl.  You can do so many things with a silhouette, but for now I have focused my attention on vinyl.


I made this cute zippered bag to give as a gift to my friend's daughter.  I saved my Twister game mat once our children grew out of wanting to play.  I saw online once where someone made a raincoat out of one and that was my first plan.  However, an umbrella will keep the rain off with a lot less effort and work on my part!  ha ha



I cut my mat 25 inches x 21 inches, trying to position it where I could maximize the Twister logo at its best.  Bottom corners are boxed at 2.5 inches.


I used both red and blue cotton webbing to add as much color as possible. (2 yards for each strap)



This gave me a great opportunity to work with vinyl; I used Oracle 651.  Working with phrases gave me some practice designing too.  I still have so much to learn, but I seriously want to vinyl everything possible.


See those little hands?  I traced them from some free clip art online!


I used a 28 inch green sport zipper and red flannel for the inner lining, which I had in my stash.


I wasn't sure how to sew the plastic.  To provide stability, I used a narrow zig zag stitch at 3.0 (a straight stitch looked like a perforation line to me), adding stitch witchery as I sewed.  I didn't fuse it of course.  After that, I used fabric glue over the seam, and once dried, I used some strong, clear packing tape!  I'm hoping that I did all things possible to strengthen the seams, but I told my friend not to put anything super heavy in it....just in case.  I think it makes a great bag to carry a pillow to camp!


For the bag design, I followed Pam's tutorial at Threading My Way here and here.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

12 comments:

  1. It's so cute, Shirley! And those seams sound like they'll last 100 years, haha! I'd love to start using my Silhouette again. I used to love using it but haven't done it for a couple years. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Justine! I sure hope my seams hold up. Reading it back does make it sound like I went overboard doesn't it? ha ha I'm excited about being able to monogram now with my Silhouette.

      Delete
  2. Very cute idea! We had a silhouette at the craft store and I loved using it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I had never even heard of a silhouette until a couple months ago! Then I started seeing what people were making with them and I knew I wanted one. It's fun to be able to craft in other areas than just apparel.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant idea to use the Twister mat, Shirley!!! Have fun with your new Silhouette Cameo. Thanks for the link backs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I'm always trying to find what I can repurpose.

      Delete
  4. Such a cool idea! You have amazing vision!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This bag is just genius! I love the whole design of it and all the added extras you put into it :D I'm sure it will be loved and treasured.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love repurposed you've done an adorable job. With the bag SO big I'm glad you took all the trouble to reinforce the seams.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!