Monday, February 22, 2016

1940s Tea Dress

Sew Over It
1940s Tea Dress
Size 10

Alterations:  1/2" swayback adjustment
Forward Sloping Shoulder
Removed 1/2" from the cap of the sleeve
Removed 3" from length



I love this dress!  It makes me want to sew up other vintage-style dresses.  It's is so pretty and feminine looking.  My fabric is a rayon challis.  I made a muslin of the bodice.  I don't always make a muslin, but I loved my fabric too much to risk a mishap.




This is the only Sew Over It pattern I have.  It comes in such a nice booklet and the pattern is printed on sturdy white paper, which makes tracing easy.  The dress is not lined and all seams are overlocked after stitching.


The back has an invisible zipper. I do have a bit of a "poof" of fabric at my upper mid back.  I'm not sure what is causing this.  

I shortened my zipper but too short!  I have to slip the dress over my head since I can't step into it...my hips won't fit through.  Darn!   It is a little snug coming over the top too, so I have to carefully pull the dress over.  Double darn! LOL  But I can still put it on and that's the important thing.


It took a painfully long time to sew my first sleeve in.  It has been a while since I have done this, but I just couldn't ease all the fabric in without a lot of puckers.  I unpicked my seam and reduced the sleeve cap by 1/2 inch.  It went it so much easier.


I like the modest neckline.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

8 comments:

  1. Lovely :-) reminds me I should really have another at this pattern- it needs a lot of work to fit my shape so I've been avoiding it... Yours is so pretty though!
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck with yours. I think this one hooks me in on wanting to make more of the retro styles.

      Delete
  2. Just lovely. Love the fabric. I'm yearning Spring today and your dress screams flowers and warmer weather. Interesting pattern. Must look at the range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm ready for Spring as well. I always like to start sewing for it a little early.

      Delete
  3. Very flattering style, Shirley. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! I really like this dress and it feels so pretty on.

      Delete
  4. This dress is stunning! I think it's perfect for spring. I'm glad you reduced the shoulder cap, it looks so good now. From the envelope you would think this dress was really low cut but it looks perfect length on you.
    You know, vintage dresses usually were not lined because they wore slips ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I was so surprised by the higher neckline! I'm glad I didn't try to adjust it. LOL You know, I would much prefer to wear a slip than to line a dress. A slip you only have to buy once. It gets expensive to add lining to skirts and dresses!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!