Thursday, March 31, 2016

A Maxi Dress!

McCalls 6559
Size 10 bodice, graded out to 12 at waist
Alterations:  Shortened 4.5 inches, 1/2" swayback adjustment & forward shoulder adjustment
Added neck and shoulder bindings
Fabric:  ITY Knit




I can't remember when I bought this pattern, but it was a while ago.  I pulled it out, cut out the pattern pieces and then stuck them right back into the envelope.  I even pulled them out a couple times afterwards and would just put it away and sew something else up instead.  I'm so glad I finally made this dress!  I think what was holding me back is I'm 5'1 and never wear long dresses.  This summer I decided to take that step and give it a try--I'm so glad I did!  I LOVE this dress!


Two pattern pieces, yes, only two!  The pattern instructions state to turn the neck and shoulder seam allowance under 5/8" and stitch.  I prefer binding my neck and armholes, so I cut a strip of fabric 1.5".  I folded the strips wrong sides together and then stitched them to the WRONG side of my dress fabric (on the inside).  Then I folded my binding over to the front side, encasing my seam allowance.  I tacked the binding down using a narrow zig zag stitch.



There really isn't much more to say about this dress other than it is very easy and quick to make.  To ensure getting my seams matched, I basted first and then serged them.

One thing to note about the neckline, it might be borderline too low if you turn it down 5/8".  When I attached my binding, I sewed 1/4" seam allowance.  I did this as well with the armholes, but now wish I had made that seam a little deeper.  I think they are just a tad bit too wide.  I will adjust my pattern before making this again.


Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

10 comments:

  1. You look really cute in this Shirley.maxi dresses look good on petites too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Justine! You know, I always though I was too short to wear them but then it occurred to me that my girls have worn long dresses and skirts and look great in them. LOL So, now I realize height isn't an issue with long dresses. I think the real impact height has on skirts and dresses is the hemline point.

      Delete
  2. Looking good, Shirley!!! This style really suits you and it looks comfy, too. I think it was a good idea to add the bias rather than just turn the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! I think it will be hard not to turn my closet into a bunch of long dresses! I cannot believe how quick and easy they are to make compared to other dresses. Also with knit, you can't help but get a good fit!

      Delete
  3. This is one of my favorite makes of yours. It looks fantastic! I didn't realize the fabric was an ITY! Do you find it feels heavy? This pattern has moved up on my list now :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristin! I didn't find it heavy, but I haven't actually worn it longer than the time it took to snap a picture! I'll be wearing it to a dinner soon, so I will let you know how it feels after having it on for a few hours!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!