New Look 6055 (Pants/Shorts)
Version A, Size 12
Where to start with these pants?! First off, I purchased this coral linen at Hancock Fabrics for less than $3 a yard. I think the original price was close to $16 a yard. I grabbed 3 yards for my stash. I purchased the fabric for maybe a dress, but after prewashing it, I thought it might be a little too heavy and stiff. So, pants were the next thought. I looked through my pattern stash and came up with New Look 6055. Looking at the model, I knew there would be more fabric at the waist than I would want. I should have considered sizing down, down, and down again! Seriously! I was a little afraid to make changes initially without seeing exactly what I would be dealing with. I looked online and linen pants are very roomy, so I didn't want to cut away and do something wrong. Plus, I didn't want to make a muslin. Sometimes that just seems like way too much work.
What I like--I love the side cargo pocket. It is nice and big with a buttoned flap!
Changes I made--I created 2 darts at the back waist. These pants were a series of sewing, putting on, pinning fabric out, resewing, etc. I dismissed any thoughts of altering the pattern at this point because of the way I made the alterations. There was so much fabric to eliminate and I had to do it a little at a time. I took in the front and back crotch seams, probably a good inch in addition to sewing my 5/8" seam. Six inches were removed at the waist alone. I also shorted the front crotch depth. Then, I took the center leg seam in by an inch! I know, my alterations are all over the place, but I think that covers what I had to do.
My shirt is covering up the darts here. I got the idea of darts from looking online at other linen pants. I liked that feature and wanted to include it for mine as well. I did not make the tabs at the bottom of my pants because I didn't want them tight around my ankles.
I used eyelets instead of button holes at the waist. I got them a little high. I pulled my drawstring cord out of a romper I made a while back that no longer fits me. There is also 1 inch elastic in the waist.
I also like the nice and big front pockets!
I put vinyl on my shirt using my Silhouette Cameo--love that machine!!
I tossed out my pattern but kept the pocket pieces to use again with a different pattern. I'm happy with my pants, but I think the same pants could be more easily accomplished with an elastic waist trouser pattern that doesn't have as much ease built into it. However, I did get the pattern to work for me and New Look patterns are very reasonably priced.
Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley