Monday, August 22, 2016

My First Knitted Sweater

 I finished my sweater! 

This is what I made with Craftsy.com's "My First Sweater" class.  I made a size small.  I already knew how to do the knit and purl stitch, but that is all.  I never made anything beyond a scarf.  Casting on stitches still gives me great difficulty and I seem to have to do it several times before I am happy with the results.  If you are a beginner like me, you can definitely knit this sweater.  I thought the video lessons were great and you could clearly see everything the instructor was doing.  Once I posted a question for help late at night and I had my answer in the early morning!



I made a few mistakes.  Picking up stitches at the neck and front edges was a struggle for me.  I don't think I picked up as many stitches as I was supposed to, but it still turned out okay.  Somehow I missed putting in the top buttonhole too!  My plastic markers (is that what you call them?) kept falling out.  I need the ones that look like safety pins.  Mine are shaped like broken circles, so when I would shift my project, out they fell.


The pattern instructions are for a smaller neck band, but I wanted to extend mine out so it would fold over onto itself.  As you can see, I didn't quite get there.  Next time I will be sure to add more rows.



I'm wearing my sweater with my Angel Bootcut Jeans.


I love the eyelet detail at the raglan edges.



I had a couple places on my button bands where there was some sort of opening but not the buttonhole.  I mended these with needle and yarn; they were small spots.  One spot looked like a stitch had come undone, but I'm not sure how that would have happened.  I definitely don't know how to fix anything yet, at least not the right way!  I'm happy though and it fits and it's warm--mission accomplished!  My next knitting project is to learn to make socks.


I made a new Jalie Dolman (3352) top.  I used a sheer, crinkled knit for the sleeves that I had left over from a few years ago.  I'm so glad I saved it because it was a perfect match.


One of the things I like about this style of top is it how it is a little longer in the back but not drastic like a high/low top.


Since I was working with the Dolman pattern, I decided to make one up for one of my girls.  The second one always goes together quicker since I don't have to refer to the instructions just having made it.


The last time I used this fabric, I made myself a maxi skirt.  The fabric is incredibly soft.



Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

10 comments:

  1. Your sweater looks wonderful. Can't believe its your first. I have the first sweater I made (30 years ago) and I can still spot the mistakes. It doesn't stop me wearing it. I hope you gets lots of use out of yours. Picking up along the neckline is challenging. The eyelet detail is fun. Good luck with your socks and watch out for the second sock syndrome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl! I think I'm already hooked on knitting. I went to a local yarn store today just to look at all the yarn and possibilities. LOL I want to make so much.

      Delete
  2. Love your sweater, Shirley, especially the eyelet details. Now you'll have to divide your time between sewing and knitting, or find more time. In all my years of knitting, I have never knitted socks. My sister gave me a hand knitted pair of socks this year and they are the best warm socks I own. By next Winter, I hope I've dug out the old knitting needles and made myself a second pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! I can't wait to get started on the socks. My son has asked for the first pair. He has the largest feet in the house, so perhaps I should have started with smaller feet. LOL I love how relaxing knitting is, atleast until a mistake is made. ha ha

      Delete
  3. I love everything! The tops are super cute and that sweater is amazing!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I'm so excited that I can actually knit something now. I visited a yarn store today and discovered they offer classes in knitting.

      Delete
  4. Wow! Cute sweater! I love the Dolman top too. They look comfortable:))) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eli cat! Aren't Dolman's great! They sew up sew quickly and don't take a whole lot of fabric. If there is a need for a quick shirt, this is the one we go too. Having 2 girls, we really get a lot of use out of Jalie patterns.

      Delete
  5. Wow! Your cardigan turned out fantastic!! look beautifully knitted, perfectly even and lovely. I love this colour on you too. I hope you wear it with pride all winter! xx :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you Carolyn!! I love wearing jeans in the winter if I'm not in a skirt with tights, so blue seemed like a perfect color for those kind of days. If the heat will ever end in Oklahoma, I'll be ready to wear it!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!