Friday, September 16, 2016

Hooded Flannel Shirt with Jalie Jeans

McCall's 6613
Size S
Alterations:  Added a lined hood
Fabrics:  Flannel, jersey knit for hood lining


I love a good flannel shirt for winter.   I bought this flannel last year on clearance for about $3 a yard.  It is pretty thick too, making it a good weight for a jacket.


I'm happy I chose to use this shirt pattern.  The instructions were great and the fit is pretty good. The sleeves are a little long on me, but I'm okay with that.   If I use this pattern for a "shirt," I will most likely take some of the length out of the sleeve.   I used the hood pattern from McCall's 7447, which lined up perfectly.


I finally figured out how to line a hood enclosing the neck seam!  First, I basted my hood to the neck seam.  I left a large area of the hood lining center seam unsewn.  Next, I pinned the lining to the hood, right sides together, with the shirt folded up between the two.  I sewed all the way around the hood edges, pulling the shirt out through the hood lining opening.
.
 here are my hood pieces clipped right sides together with the shirt in the middle


 Then I pinned my center seam of my hood lining together and hand stitched it.


And I'm really happy that my stripes lined up!  I thought I cut out my pockets to line up too, but that didn't happen.  Oh well.  I just remind myself that with store bought, more times than not, their lines don't match either.

And what goes well with a comfy flannel but a nice new pair of Jalie jeans!


This is such a great pattern.  


Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley





10 comments:

  1. What a cute shirt! I love the hood too:))) Is that fabric $3 a yard? You made a good buy. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, $3 a yard for the flannel. It was originally priced at nearly $15 a yard! I didn't even have to think twice about that and grabbed 3 yards of it. It wasn't very wide though and took the whole 3 yards to make my shirt.

      Delete
  2. Looking good, Shirley. Love the first pic of you with the hood on. The two pieces together make a great outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! I had my son take the pictures for me and it's still quite warm, so we did it fast! I was hoping for the best that we got something good because I didn't want to have to go back outside. LOL

      Delete
    2. Can totally relate, Shirley. I've featured your hooded shirt today.

      Delete
  3. That's a great trick with the hood! Everything looks great, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! I was laying in bed late one night when it finally dawned on me how to put a hood together! LOL I couldn't wait to get up the next morning and try it out.

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous new outfit! I absolutely love both pieces. The jeans are an awesome fit on you. And that jacket! I want it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn! Now if only our summer would end so I can wear it. LOL

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!