Monday, November 21, 2016

Kelly Anorak

Closet Case Files
Kelly Anorak Jacket
Size 8
Fabric:  Twill


I made a jacket!  I'm so thrilled with how it turned out.  Initially I thought it might be beyond my skill level to make, but I decided to give it a try anyway.  I'm glad I did because I love everything about it!  It is very RTW looking.





It does take time to sew the Kelly up, especially if you make the flat fell seams.  It is worth it though because of the nice clean finish you have inside.  I didn't make my own bias tape.  I would have had to purchase more fabric, and at 3.5 yards to make it (45"), I was okay with purchasing a package.  Actually, I rather like the little bit of contrast at the hemline.

I hit a snag with the zipper installation.  I was following Closet Case files blog tutorial so closely that I did not realize that my zipper pull was located on the opposite side of their zipper pull.  Had I been paying attention, I would have realized that my first part of my zipper wasn't lining up against the edge before I sewed it.  Since I put in the zipper side that didn't have the pull, I put it in right side up (both sides kind of look the same if the pull isn't on it).  Unfortunately I didn't realize what I had done until I was ready to sew in the left side!  I really wanted to cry.  I thought I was done at that point, but I decided to unpick all my placket stitches and put it in the right way.  I'm so glad I did!  Anyway, I never knew that zipper pulls could vary from one side to the other, so I wanted to share that.


I love the length.  I didn't make any alteration to it.  I cut everything out on a size 8 and just sewed it up.



Look at these wonderful big pockets!  I think it would be fun to make smaller pockets at the top too should I make this again.  I imagine I will.  This is the first time I have worked with snaps.  Wawak has a snap kit which I highly recommend.  The tool that comes with it makes it pretty simple and I found a Prym video tutorial online.  I had a little trouble with the topside of the snap since it has to be lined up perfectly with the piece that goes on the underside of the fabric.  I managed to bend a few before I realized what I was doing wrong.  



I considered lining the jacket but decided it might make it too warm for me.  I want to be able to wear this a lot and I have other warm coats in my closet.  However, I did line the hood with black flannel.  I thought bringing in a little more black would look nice since my drawstring and zipper are both black.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley



14 comments:

  1. That's awesome, it looks so professional! Great job! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking at this pattern and your make helped me decide. You did a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing job! I really love the jacket! I would like to make it like yours. Most people never think that you made all of the outfit. They look like RTW:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eli cat! Yes, I made the whole outfit--you noticed! :) Thank you for that. It feels good to be wearing handmade almost from head to toe.

      Delete
  4. Oh goodness. You did an amazing job with this coat. I had to google RTW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl! It definitely challenged my sewing skills. I am so proud of it and wear it everywhere! I remember googling RTW a while back. :) I have to have my children interpret their texts to me with all their abbreviations they use now. LOL

      Delete
  5. You did a beautiful job! I love everything about it. It looks really really cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn! I don't think I would have even considered making it had it not been for you. The two you made were fabulous and made me sew beyond my comfort zone. I'm so glad I did because I wear it everywhere.

      Delete
  6. So professionally sewn, Shirley. It looks SO good on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! Yesterday while shopping, my husband said the same thing...so professionally sewn! I'm so thrilled with it. It was worth the challenge and the difficulty I had. I find myself looking for other fabrics worthy of jackets now. I definitely want to make my girls one, but they already have coats for this year, but I'll be ready to tackle them next fall.

      Delete
  7. It's beautiful. Saw it on Pam's blog and had to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Baye! Thank you for visiting my blog too!

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!