Fabric: Jersey Knit
What a well drafted little pattern this is! I didn't have to make any alterations--everything fit perfectly. My daughter loves it and immediately asked if I could make her another one. She actually wants a third, but we decided to postpone that make until closer to summer since the other fabric is a tropical floral-type print.
The pattern instructions have you turn under the fabric for the neck. I prefer an actual neckband, so I cut a strip of fabric 2 inches in width, folding wrong sides together, and attaching to the wrong side of the neckline. Then I folded it over onto itself and attached with a tiny zig zag stitch. Lighter knit fabrics are a little trickier for me to handle and I have found that doing it this way makes the neck more stable. I don't end up with a floppy, stretched out neckband.
I used my serger and cover stitch machine for the entire assembly of this dress, making it so quick! I do use my sewing machine to baste the neckband on, prior to serging, to ensure everything looks right.
This version is made in a ponte knit. I also made a neckband here, but since it is a thicker fabric, I attached it as you would for any t-shirt. I cut the neckband at 1 and 3/4 inch width, attaching with a 1/2 inch seam allowance. I cut the length long and slightly pull on it as I sew it to the neck, cutting off the excess once I reach the end.
As you can see above in the pattern illustration, there are other versions that can be made with options to the bodice back, as well as a gathered skirt with elastic insertion. Since we are still having cool temperatures, I opted for no open back designs and I'd much rather not have to gather the skirt if I don't have to. With this dress version, the skirt top matches perfectly to the bodice bottom and no elastic is used.
Happy New Year!
Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley