Sunday, February 19, 2017

My Bell Bottom Baby dressed with Jalie

Jalie 2908 Jeans
with 2805 Knit Top
Size P


I asked my children the other day what they wanted me to make them next.  One of my girls excitedly said, "bell bottom jeans!"  Since Jalie jeans already have a nice flared bottom, I took that and extended the flare out by 1/2 inch at each side.  I gradually took this line up, blending in at the knee area notch.





If you are wearing bell bottom jeans, you definitely want to complete the look with a flower top, right?  She couldn't be more thrilled.  I did make a swayback adjustment for her and lowered the neckline a little.


The fabric is Art Gallery Jersey Knit Pop Art Spring Blossom, purchased from Fabric.com
The denim is also purchased from Fabric.com

For years, this one wouldn't even put on a pair of jeans.  Everything was too stiff or too scratchy.  I would have to resort to knit yoga pants for her every year.  Finally, finally, I got the okay to make her jeans.  I didn't think they would be bell bottoms though.  Now she is in love with her new jeans and already wants more.


Getting a great fit took time and I didn't want to fuss with a muslin.  I had my daughter try them on all along the assembly process.  I had to take an inch out of the center back yoke, which is a quick fix to eliminate the gap.  Before I make another pair, I will take a 1/2" dart out of the pattern piece.  Since the waistband has a CB seam, I immediately removed a 1/2" before I sewed it together.  After basting the waistband on, I discovered yet another gap at the top of the band!  I had to remove the waistband and take in 1/2" at the center point of the seam, tapering back out to 3/8 at the top and the bottom.  This way when you fold the band over, you get a little V shape, bringing it closer into the waist. Perfect!



I'm overjoyed that this outfit turned out perfectly for her.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley



5 comments:

  1. She is so lucky, because her mom is a great sewist:) I would like to make my bell bottom jeans too! I am so interested at Jalie 2908. How did you get it? Paper or pdf pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have mostly the paper patterns and buy them through Patternreview.com. If I get PDF, I'll buy them from Jalie directly. I hope you try out this pattern--I really like it!

      Delete
  2. Well done! they look absolutely fabulous and your daugher models them beautifully... she is so lucky to have you! they are perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn! I love sewing for myself, but the rewards of seeing my daughter in something I have made, and the smile on her face, makes my heart overjoyed.

      Delete
  3. These bell bottoms are so much fun! I think they turned out perfect. :D The shirt goes with it so well too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!