Sunday, March 26, 2017

DIY Spring Wreath

Spring is finally here!  So this weekend, my kids and I went to our local craft store and bought supplies to make a pretty wreath for our door.  



I already knew I wanted a purple and white color theme, but my son thought to add a splash of some turquoise flowers to the mix.

If you haven't ever made a wreath before, here is how it all came together for us.  Hopefully you can get your flowers on sale. It doesn't look like a lot flowers purchased, but once you begin cutting the stems free of the bunches, it starts to accumulate into a nice pile quickly.  I did have another picture of a additional 2 bunches, but there was an error with that picture and I couldn't post it for some reason.  It was a bunch of small white flowers and a little more of the turquoise flowers, as well as a tiny sprig of pink.  I just want to let you know to give you an idea of how many flowers we used.


Some of the stems are thick and hard to cut through, so it helps to have a pair of wire cutters on hand.


My daughter and I each took a side of the wreath and randomly started sticking the flowers into the wood.  It helps to take a few steps back and look at it from a distance as you go.  If it doesn't look right, just pull it out and start over.

Next, secure most everything with a hot glue gun.  

 I searched for a You Tube video on how to tie a bow for a wreath.  You definitely want to use wired ribbon for this.


My daughter used one of the stems to fasten an area to glue our bird to.




Happy Spring!

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley




4 comments:

  1. Very beautiful! I LOVE the colour combination. It made me smile:)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! If we make more wreaths, we are going to have to figure out how to store them! They are really fun to make.

      Delete
  2. that's so lovely. We don't really do wreaths here, but I remember from when we lived in the US how pretty they looked on everyone's doors and sometimes wished we did house-dressing here too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn! Your comment had me looking up the origin of the wreath! :) I actually was wondering about it and the cultures that do. We lived in Germany several years and never hung a wreath on our door. I loved how the German people would paint scenes on their houses though, something I've not seen in the U.S. It is so interesting the differences in culture.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!