Thursday, April 20, 2017

Sewing for Summer

P4P Favorite Tee Pattern



I'm really enjoying sewing up knit dresses for summer!  Sewing with knits is fast and fun, something that I have needed in order to overcome my recent sewing slump.  I gave it some serious thought about what I wanted to be wearing--cool and comfy--without having to devote hours into solving fit of a new pattern.  On occasion I do like the challenge of more complicated sewing, but for now, I want my sewing to be a little more lighthearted.



This is a PDF pattern from Patterns for Pirates with neckline, sleeve, and hem style/length options.  I made a small bodice graded out to a medium at the waist.

I did make a muslin, twice, of the bodice and sleeve and I'm so glad I did.  I determined that I needed to raise the neckline 5/8", lower the armscye 1", and adjust the width of the sleeve pattern by 1/2".  My arms are rather full and it felt like the sleeve was too close to my armpit to be comfortable.  


I also made a swayback adjustment.  I don't even think twice about that anymore.  When I trace a new pattern, that is something that I do right away.

I like the lower curved hem in the back.  I didn't shorten this dress any since the length of the front was spot on for me.  So many of my dresses have to be shortened since I am 5'1.

I purchased this fabric from Knitpop.

***

Kitschy Coo
Lady Skater Dress


I made this once before here.  I'm surprised that I haven't made this again until now.  After looking at the fit of my first one, I realized that the length of the bodice really needed to be shortened by an inch!  And of course I had to retrace the pattern to enlarge at the waist/hip area--sigh.


This is such a simple dress; actually, both of these dresses I'm blogging about today are.  Just two mornings of my week and I had two new dresses to wear.


I purchased this fabric from Girl Charlee.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

4 comments:

  1. Cute! I love both dresses! These fit on you perfectly! I usually steer clear of wearing a tee dress because I have a pear-shaped body:((( but I would like to make mine like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eli cat! It was a really rewarding sew to be able to cut, sew and wear within a couple of hours!

      Delete
  2. You really nailed the fit on both of these! The blue one looks comfy and casual and the brown one shows of your great figure! Do you like PFP patterns? I've never tried one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Justine! I have only tried one other PFP pattern--the slim fit raglan--and it didn't work for me. Maybe I'm not so slim anymore. LOL But the arms were so tight. I could try and alter it, but it would take a lot of work. I gave the shirt to one of my girls and although big on her, a much better fit. I recently bought the Sweetheart Dress, so I'll let you know if I encounter the same problem with the arms.

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!