Thursday, September 21, 2017

Get Moving Hoodie by Ottobre

5/2015, #15
Size 38

It's been a while since I have pulled out an Ottobre pattern.  I should do this more often; I forget how much I love the way Ottobre patterns fit.  Most times it equals a successful sew for me.

The fabric recommended for this pattern is a sweatshirt knit, but I used a DBP from Knitpop.  It feels so light and soft.  The hoodie is longer on me than what is pictured in the issue, but this is normal for me.  I am actually liking the longer length so I can wear it with my Ottobre Jeggings.

Instead of grommets on the hood, I made button holes so they would blend in better with the fabric.

I love how the raglan sleeves have a  curve.  I used a solid fabric so this design feature would be more obvious.  Ottobre's instructions on how to assemble the pockets worked flawlessly.  I definitely recommend tracing out the pocket opening on tissue paper as instructed for a stitching guide.  I was pleasantly surprised at how nice these came together.

It's hard to tell there are even pockets until you stick your hands in them.  One thing I did not anticipate and perhaps it was due to my fabric choice, but the pockets hung slightly lower than my hem.  If I make this again, I will either add length or just raise the pocket an inch.  The pockets would actually work better for me if I raised them.  To remedy this, I tacked the bottom of my pockets to the turned-up-hem stitching.

And the back view....

The pattern also comes with a sleeve cuff, but I didn't use it.  I slipped it on and discovered the sleeves were really long and just turning up a 1 inch hem would be sufficient.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

Monday, September 11, 2017

Jade Skirt with Ruched-T Knit Shirt

Paprika Jade Skirt &
Angela Wolf Ruched-T

It's not cold, I know!  However, I'm feeling done with this heat, so I'm sewing up some winter clothing in anticipation.

I made the Jade skirt once before here (it will be at the bottom of that blog post), but I didn't say much about it.  I loved wearing it last winter.  The folds make it look so unique and they aren't hard to do.  Paprika has a video demonstrating how to make them.  The trickiest part is probably getting your lining sewn to the skirt front and securing those folds by sewing underneath them, attaching it to the lining.  Somehow, and I did this the last time too, I ended up with about a 1/2 inch difference between my shell top and my lining top when all was done.  I am clearly doing something wrong, but it is still within the 5/8" seam allowance when attaching the waistband and no one is the wiser....except all who read this. ha ha

It's a mini, but the other length would most likely be too long for my liking with my short legs.  I wouldn't wear a mini this "mini" without my leggings though.  At 49, my bare-legged-mini-days are over.  LOL

There is a zipper option for this skirt, but so far I haven't tried it.  I tend to go first for the quick and easy sew.

Here is my Ruched-T again, but paired with jeans.  I bought the pattern about a month ago after sewing up Angela's Delila pattern, which I love.  The Ruched-T is another great pattern with 3 options for the sleeve length,  3 neckband options, and different areas of ruching.  You could also just sew it up as a plain T without any ruching, but you would need to trim the hem.  Angela has a video demonstrating how she ruches the top using twill tape.  It is simple to do.

It's really hard to see with my black fabric, but my neckband is "twisted."  You can also just make it without a twisted look if you prefer.  Also, my sleeves are ruched too! 

In these bottom pictures, I'm wearing my top with my Angel bootcut jeans.

Shirt made with black rayon/spandex knit.
Skirt made with red ponte knit.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley