I have to admit upfront that it took me 3 attempts to perfect my fit on these pants; however, it was time well spent! I love these pants. Note to self....don't use your most expensive knit fabric on your first try!
In my first attempt, I discovered that my waistband was too big and I would also need to include the optional elastic. My pants felt as though they might pull down just a bit upon sitting. I adjusted the back waistband by darting out a 1/2" at the top. I also shortened by an inch above the knee. I had already shortened the length by 2 inches below the knee, but that was apparently not enough because I had some fabric pooling behind the knee area. I am 5'1 and it is common for me to have to shorten my pants.
In my second attempt, I realized that perhaps my thighs were a bit too big for the size small I was trying to squeeze them into! I fell into the hip measurements of a size small, but my thighs needed more space. I reprinted my pattern with size small and medium lines so I could grade out to a medium immediately after the waist.
The 3rd and final attempt made for a perfect fit. I retraced my pattern so I could also have another version 2 inches longer in length to accommodate boots in the winter.
It is difficult to see because of the variation in color of my fabric, but there is a seam down the front of the pant legs. If you look closely around my thigh area, you can see the seam a little clearer. This is also top stitched.
I wish I could tell you where I purchased this really cool knit, but it was so long ago that I don't remember. I'm glad I didn't find this to use first, because I like this even more than the ponte knit I had planned/purchased for my pants.
The back waistband dips to a V at the center back. This is such a nice detail. This is not hard at all to do. You can't really tell by the picture, but I had to use another fabric just for the back waistband! I barely squeezed these pants out of the fabric I had. I'm so relieved that the color of the waistband blends so well.
My shirt is made by me too. Originally it was a dress, but after only wearing one time since made, I decided to chop it off and make it into a blouse. I needed something to match my pants and after rummaging through my closet, it was the only thing I could find.
I also sewed up this cute t-shirt for one of my girls using Jalie 2805 pattern. The fabric is Art Gallery from Fabric.com.
Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley