Monday, November 20, 2017

Ottobre Jazzy Look Dress

Ottobre 5/2015-20
Jazzy Look Dress

This was the perfect dress to get to know my new Brother 3550 Cover Stitch machine!  Where the angles meet, I removed my fabric and then started stitching again in the other direction, overlapping stitches.

There is a whole lot of cover stitching going on, accomplished by first seaming with a straight stitch, trimming the s/a and then cover stitching.  The only place this gave me a problem was at the top of the raglan seams.  The angle created where the top of the neckline is seamed for some reason got me hung up with my machine at that point.  I'm sure this is due to my inexperience at cover stitching.  However, I'd like to add that it is very easy to pull this cover stitch seam out.  I did it twice ha ha.  I'm extremely impressed with this machine's ability to go over thick seams without skipping or uneven stitches.  The hemline cover stitch goes over the front and back dress seams, which in all is 4 layers of fabric--awesome!

Alterations:  1/2" swayback adjustment
Shortened 1" above the waist
Shortened 3" below the waist

I made this in a size 38.  The only mistake I made was to use a woven interfacing instead of a knit around the neckline.  It turned out okay, but it could have been better. An hem allowance is at the top of the front, back and raglan sleeves, all which are turned under and cover stitched. 

Nice big pockets! The pocket piece is basted onto the dress first.  I used this basting stitch to guide me as I cover stitched around.

I really like this dress!  It's different from my normal style, but I think it will be fun to wear this winter.  I'm wearing my Ottobre leggings made here.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

A Casual Outfit for Fall

Named Jamie Jeans
Get Moving Hoodie by Ottobre, 5/2015-15

I felt like sewing jeans again.  I go in waves of simple sewing to something that requires more skill and effort.  I decided on skinny jeans.  I considered taking other jean patterns that I've made before and altering them to a skinnier leg until I remembered the Jamie Jean.  I made them once before here.  Needless to say, those jeans fit a thinner me and have since been donated.  This time I made them in a size 38.  I could have gotten away with a size 36, but I wanted skinny jeans and not skin tight jeans!  

Alterations:  Shortened 1 inch above the knee
Took out a 5/8" dart on the back pant leg piece about the middle waist area
Adjusted back yoke
Removed 5/8 inch at the hemline
Shortened crotch at zipper area 1/2 inch

I really like how the front pant leg is seamed, something that sets it apart from other jean patterns.  The pocket opening panel piece is made using the reverse of the fabric.  I used a very light weight cotton for the pocket bags.  Looks like I need to still remove some length on the pattern since my pant leg is bunching up.

As per the pattern instructions, I did interface the outer waistband.  I used knit interfacing.

The back pocket is made by seaming an upper and lower pocket pattern piece, another cute detail.

This Ottobre hoodie, made once before here, is becoming a staple garment item for me.  I plan on making another out of some holiday FT that I ordered online from SSE.  So Sew English really has some nice FT.  This hoodie was made with one of their bundle deals.  I wasn't too sure if I would like the peach, but I couldn't resist the gray floral with gray stripes!

This time I brought my pockets up 2 inches higher.  They are definitely better placed now and no longer trying to hang down below my hemline.  To do this, I placed a ruler on the placement line on the pattern and just extended it up 2 inches.  I also made my drawstring from the striped FT.  I like it because it is the same light weight of the shirt, unlike cording which feels heavier.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

Monday, November 6, 2017

Christmas Portlanders

 New Horizon Designs
Portlander Pants

I made some Christmas lounge pants!  I'm not usually wearing Christmas print early November, but Joann's had this Nutcracker Doodle knit Christmas fabric and I took the last piece on the bolt.

I have been loving all the great Portlander pants everyone is making and finally decided to make a pair for myself.  I'm definitely not impulsive when it comes to buying a new pattern (unless on sale), but since the smallest size (XXS) will fit my girls, it was the final push I needed.  I'm glad I did--the fit is great!  The only alteration I needed was to shorten by 2 inches below the knee.

I used a rib knit for the waistband.  I think CL would have been better, but I couldn't find any at my local Joann's that would match.  I searched through my dwindling fabric stash and found this piece which matched close enough.  I am pleasantly surprised at how well the waistband fits since there isn't any need for elastic.  I like using the fabric for the drawstring and will probably do this for some hooded shirts in the future.

My shirt is a Jalie Dolman made from rayon jersey knit.  It really is my go-to-shirt when I need a simple top to match something.

I have something exciting to share....I got a new cover stitch machine!!  It is the Brother CV3550.  I haven't had a chance to sew with it yet.  Today I unpacked it from the box and watched the DVD that came with it.  I'm so excited just knowing it is in my sewing room waiting for me!

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley