Grainline Maritime Shorts
with a Jalie Bobbie V-Neck Top
The last time I made the Maritime shorts, I made them with faux double welt pockets and didn't change out the front pockets. I do like the pattern designed pockets, however, change is always fun, especially just because you can! I had a pair of RTW shorts that I loved the front pockets on, both inside and out. So, I got busy and did a rough trace of them just by laying a piece of paper on top of them and outlining the seam. That was just the beginning. I have to admit, it took me all morning long to figure out how they were made! I was so tempted to take apart my RTW shorts pockets at one point, but perseverance paid off and I figured it out!
And just because I wanted to add even more time to the construction of these shorts (LOL), I decided to make single welt pockets for the back. Honestly, I'm so happy I put forth the extra time and effort because I really love how they turned out. It is actually very easy to line up your welt pockets. I transferred the back pocket pattern marks to my fabric. I used dark enough chalk that would show through a strip of interfacing. Then, I simply placed a pin at each outer edge of the pocket marks where the pins would stick out on the right side. At this point, I just put my welt pocket fabric right over the pins, which held it in place while I secured my fabric with other pins.
I made a picture tutorial for myself so I would not forget how to assemble my pocket pattern pieces should I make them again.
For my Bobbie top, this time I made a couple more alterations for an even better fit. I decided to shorten it by 2 inches. I also bought up the neckline by 1/2 inch. To do this, I put my ruler right at the "V," measuring up 1/2 inch and made a mark. Then I used a curved ruler to blend the neckline up to the notch.
My shorts fabric is Lyocell--they are so soft and comfortable! My shirt fabric is rayon/spandex. Both fabrics were purchased at Joann's.
Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley