Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Another Delila

Angela Wolf 
The Delila Pattern #AW1531


I really like this pattern.  I've made it before, here and here.  As far as the pattern itself, it is one of my favorites.  Angela Wolf paper patterns are so well made and put together.  The instructions are very beginner friendly too.


Angela Wolf made a video demonstrating how to remove the color from your fabric; it is quite easy to do.  I bought a box of Rit Color Remover from Joann Fabrics.  I actually just used half the package for one shirt and saved the other half for this shirt.


I purchased my black rayon jersey knit from Joann Fabrics.  The cool part of using the color remover is the surprise you get once you are done.  I had no idea what it would look like till I cut off the rubber bands.  I really thought I would end up with shades of gray and I don't understand why I didn't.  Maybe I should have let the remover sit longer?  However, I am still really pleased with my results.  I have yet to make this pattern with just a solid or print fabric, which I still plan to do.


Color remover is used prior to sewing on the sleeve cuffs and neckband (per Angela's demonstration in the video).


If you haven't tried this, you really should...it is so much FUN!

My jeans are Jalie Jeans.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley



Wednesday, November 7, 2018

American Ships Quilt--FINISHED!


Ruby McKim
American Ships Quilt



If you have been following my blog, you know that I have been working on this for years...9 years in fact!  I'm so excited to have completed this labor of love for my son.  

Once upon a time, my little boy of 8 years was standing over my shoulder while I was researching quilt patterns.  As I was looking at this pattern, my son said, "Momma, can you make me this quilt?"  YES I can!    At the time, I didn't know a thing about embroidery.  Thank goodness for online tutorials.


I often thought about how I would quilt this.  I was concerned about the delicate embroidery threads and knew that I would have to be very, very careful once I pieced everything together by machine.  The last thing I would want is to snag any of my threads.  I decided to forego any free motion quilting since there was already so much detail.  Once I got to the point of layering it together, I realized that it would look pretty amazing if I just outline stitched as much of the embroidery as possible.  It really helped for the embroidery to "pop" visually.  It sounds like a lot of work, but after the hours upon hours of embroidering, it was so much fun to machine stitch.

Here is the link to the pattern if you are interested in making this for yourself--American Ships Quilt

According to the website, this pattern was first published in 1937 by Ruby McKim.  I love the history behind it, which you can read about by clicking the link above.

According to the pattern, the center ship could be done as an applique, however, I decided to embroider it as well.

Once I got to the point of assembly, I cut a clear square template to trace a cutting line around all my blocks, ensuring each ship was centered.  I'm not very accurate with just a ruler and rotary cutter.  I had to make my template twice just to get a perfect square!


I forgot how much fun quilting was.  My passion is sewing clothing, but I'm already thinking about working on another quilt....not embroidering one though!  I'd like to keep with quicker projects for now.  It is going to feel strange to not have to work on this.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley